The "Create Sprint" button is inactive

henninge October 18, 2012

I have created a Scrum Board and added some issues, now I want to create a sprint. I am not able to do that because the Create Sprint button on the plan page is inactive. What might be missing for it to become available?

What I changed from the default:

- I restricted the issue types on the projects.

- I use an extended workflow which I created when playing with the demo project.

- I added an extra column to the board which takes the extra status from the workflow.

Thanks for any hint what might be wrong here.

12 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted

It's working now.

In this case the solution was that I had changed the filter for the board. The order was DESC but must be ASC for the ranking to work. There was a note on the filter page which I had overlooked.

Solved by Atlassian support.

3 votes
Brad Rounds June 12, 2013

I had the same issue; Greenhopper didn't like modifying the filters. The filter query needs set to the default syntax:

project = name-of-project ORDER BY Rank ASC

3 votes
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2012

Hi Henning,

I would start by checking your permissions. The project permission 'Administer Projects' is required for all projects that the board filter includes, to be able to create sprints.

Cheers,

Pelle

Thanks for the answer. I have admin rights for both included projects. It has been solved now, though, see my own answer.

1 vote
Ajay Joseph March 17, 2019

Hello,

I did struggle with this for some time. However, the following are the items which need to be considered while you create a board.

If you are creating a board with an existing filter, make sure the following

- The filer has the project mentioned which is mandatory. We will be able to create board without project in the filter however for creating sprint update the filter by including project.

- Make Rank in ASC order

Hope this help.

Ajay

Anj Malkani May 25, 2021

This was really helpful. Thank you

0 votes
ChangJoon Lee September 4, 2016

As of JIRA 7.2, who translated custom field Rank as their own language will not be able to use this button either.

I'm reverting back to Rank 

Taraka K October 3, 2016

I also face same issue after upgrade to 7.2 ,  project admin can't start the sprint . How to fix this issue, Please suggest me.

we are using ORDER BY Rank in my board filter

Jagdish Ahir August 3, 2017

I am on JIRA 7.3.8 i had the same issue, which is solved

1. your user must have permission in "manage sprint" 

2. your board filter query should not be complex

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/using-manage-sprints-permission-for-advanced-cases-800708249.html

I had below was not working 

labels = test1 OR issue in subtaskIssuesFromQuery("labels = test1") AND project in (PROJ1, PROJ2,...) ORDER BY Rang ASC

i updated as below then working 

(labels = test1 OR issue in subtaskIssuesFromQuery("labels = test1")) AND project in (PROJ1, PROJ2,...) ORDER BY Rang ASC

0 votes
Nicolas Pigeot August 11, 2016

Et si vous avez le plugin Agile en français, utilisez "Classement" à la place de "rank", bien que le compilateur automatique vous propose rank de base. 

0 votes
vintrix September 22, 2015

I also have the same issue, my filter query; 

project = MI ORDER BY Rank ASC

0 votes
Max Mir October 13, 2014

I have the admin privileges and am not able to figure out why the Create Sprint button is disabled. Here's my filter query

project in (PROJ1, PROJ2) AND labels = label1 AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, ASSIGNED, "Need More Information", Backlog, Sprint) ORDER BY rank ASC

and I tried with removing ORDER BY clause altogether. What am I missing?

Chris Krahe September 11, 2020

The trick I found in Jira v7.13.2 is that Rank must be capitalized in the saved filter.  It's misleading, of course, that filters are not case-sensitive (i.e. the filter completes successfully), but boards are.

0 votes
Gavin_Myers June 23, 2014

Nice one, thanks all that worked a treat!

0 votes
Sarah Baca April 27, 2014

This was very helpful, thank you!

0 votes
LukasL November 24, 2013

Hi,

is it a bug or a feature? I'd like to have tasks from multiple projects in the sprint and I can not due to the default filter.

Cheers

Lukas

henninge November 24, 2013

Oh, you can change the filter for the board, no problem. The only requirement seems to be to leave the "ORDER BY rank ASC" in place. Here is my current filter which includes multiple projects, too (edited).

project in (PROJ1, PROJ2, PROJ3) AND (type = Epic OR status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved, Closed)) ORDER BY Rank ASC

(We have more than the standard statuses, that's the reason for the status filter).

Henning

0 votes
Prashant_Jain June 9, 2013

Hi ,

Even I had same issue. This got resolved when I changed the filter. Though I could get it working but still the root cause is not crystal clear. I am investigating to identify best practices...

Thanks

Prashant Jain

Suggest an answer