The "Comment Required" validator does not behave the way I want it to. Anyone have any hints?

takeshi sasaki August 22, 2012

Hi,

I use a validator in my custom workflow, to require a comment in order for a user to perform a particular transition. I use a standard validator for that. I have set no screen for this transition.

When I trigger that transition, I immediately get the following error, even if I enter a comment in the standard "comment" field of that ticket.

Of the below error in a popup, the first line is the text I defined in the workflow. The other two lines about illegal operation and contacting the JIRA admin are from the JIRA standard, I believe.

"Use the comment field specify what action or information you require from the reporter.

It seems that you have tried to perform an illegal workflow operation.

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators."

Am I using this validator wrongly?

Thanks,
takeshi

2 answers

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2012

Another way you could do this, assuming that you just want to have at least 1 comment on the issue, regardless of when it was added, is create a custom field of type "number of comments". Then have a validator to check that this field has a value greater then 0.

0 votes
TylerA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2012

Since you have no transition screen, there is no way for the workflow to associate any field updates with that transition, which is why it throws errors saying you've performed "an illegal operation." If you add a transition screen (even if it only has the Comment field visible), does that fix the issue?

Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2012

To expand on what Tyler has said. To create a comment screen, you just need to create a screen, and put no fields on it. The comment is automatically added to the screen by JIRA. I know, it seems counterintutive but it does work, trust me.

Now when you add the comment screen to your workflow transition, it will display only a comment field. Enter your comment there and your validation should now work.

Suggest an answer