The problem of JIRA Memory

yunfeng guo November 17, 2013

Our JIRA is facing high response time issue, and when i look into the system info, i found the the memory is going to be used up. But we set 8G to JVM before and the issue has no been occured.

In addition, i found the PS Old Gen occupied 100%. So i need to know what's the root cause and how do we configure the memory of JIRA

BTW,here is the info of our JIRA:

Issues 129694
Projects 496
Custom Fields 110
Workflows 27
Attachments 77885
Comments 261754
Users 7112
Groups 25

2 answers

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

Hi Yunfeng

Can I ask you if you have got 32 bit or a 64 bit jira installation. And which version of jira you are on.

Note that on a 32 bit installation there is a capping (around 1.25GB) on the amount of memory that you can allocate to jira. If you are on a 32 bit then i recommend upgrading your jira installation to 64 bit

Rahul

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2013

Simply throwing more memory at a JVM is not a good answer. You need to look at what the problem actually is.

Start with https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Increasing+JIRA+Memory

yunfeng guo November 21, 2013

I wonder why Code Cache and PS Old Gen occupies about 98% now

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2013

Because you're not giving it enough room in your memory settings. Try changing them as per the doc I linked to.

yunfeng guo December 2, 2013

@Nic, Can you give me some suggestion about the memory configuration both for JIRA and DB based on my JIRA enviroment(We deployed it on a Linux server(128G memory) and DB is oracle and is on a VM (128G memory), the detail usage information as you can see below)

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2013

I think that giving 8GB for the instance is too much, might want to lower it down to around 2GB. What is your previous Xmx settings before you raising it to 8GB? I would suggest to increase the Heap space of 256MB slowly up.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2013

As well as going back to a smaller overall memory space and then building up slowly as Zulfadli says, you need to tune the rest of the settings in line with each increase. It really is not as simple as just throwing more memory at it, there are consequences. You need to read up on Java memory tuning.

Suggest an answer