The plugin key must either match the OSGi bundle symbolic name or be specified

Shea Faigan June 20, 2017

JIRA Startup Failed

Error occurred while starting Plugin Manager. The plugin key 'jira-gadget-tutorial-plugin' must either match the OSGi bundle symbolic name (Bundle-SymbolicName) or be specified in the Atlassian-Plugin-Key manifest header caused by: The plugin key 'jira-gadget-tutorial-plugin' must either match the OSGi bundle symbolic name (Bundle-SymbolicName) or be specified in the Atlassian-Plugin-Key manifest header.

I've even tried cloning the jira-issues gadget and it gives the same error.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2017

The code in that tutorial is mostly valid, but is out of date, it sort of stopped working with version 6.  You have to change the pom.xml and other bits to update it to make it with later versions of JIRA

That's what I figured, but I couldn't find any up-to-date guides. Do you know of any? If not, what would I need to change from that tutorial?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2017

It's been a while since I tried it.  I remember the way to go was to use the current SDK to create the plugin skeleton, and then only use the java code in it.  The rest I had to work out for myself.

So once I've created a skeleton plugin, what can I change to modify my gadget? Should I just leave everything and only touch the JS file?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2017

That's a good start, but I think you need to go over the atlassian-plugin.xml and possibly add something to the pom.xml

0 votes
Stefan Hett August 9, 2020

Not sure whether you stumbled across the same issue which I ran into, but my mistake was that I took the <Atlassina-Plugin-Key> entry from the Spring Scanner readme without adjusting it accordingly (the entry under build.plugins.plugin.configuration.instructions). It obviously should state:

<Atlassian-Plugin-Key>${atlassian.plugin.key}</Atlassian-Plugin-Key>

(the example has the entry set to: <Atlassian-Plugin-Key>com.atlassian.plugin.your.plugin.key</Atlassian-Plugin-Key> which obviously must be tweaked for the project)

0 votes
Samantha Webber November 2, 2017

Any update on this problem? I am running into the same while trying to follow the gadget tutorial.

Suggest an answer