• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • The field "Original Estimate" is made as Mandatory using the Validator at the Create Issue Work Flow action - But even after the values are entered in that field it is still saying orginal estimate is required

The field "Original Estimate" is made as Mandatory using the Validator at the Create Issue Work Flow action - But even after the values are entered in that field it is still saying orginal estimate is required

saravanan subramanian June 19, 2012

The field Original Estimate is made as Mandatory using the Validator at the Create Issue Work Flow action - But even after the values are entered in that field it is still saying orginal estimate is required

4 answers

2 votes
saravanan subramanian January 22, 2013

instead of making the original estimate as mandatory, We made the entire time tracking field as mandatory and wrote a post function to copy the original estimate into remaining estimate by default while creating the issue to avoid the above

Hugh Pearson January 22, 2013

Thanks for the response. My only concern with this is that we have a lot of active projects in the company and I'm concerned that changing a field to be required might affect other projects that use Time Tracking. I'll give that a go and see if I get any angry phone calls from my colleagues!

I had to create a separate field configuration for the specific issue types that require Time Tracking (as we have several issue types used on the same database), but it worked! I didn't need the post functions - as soon as I added Time Tracking as a required field then the Original Estimate field on my issue creation form was marked as required and seemed to process correctly once a value was entered for Original Estimate.

Thanks you both for your help. I'm not sure how to award you some extra Karma, but you deserve it!

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

You can accept saravanan's answer and that would give them karma. I converted my comment to an answer in case you want to accept it, but saravanan's gave more information (mine was just more of a follow-up on your comment). :)

1 vote
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

Just make sure that the field configuration scheme you use is only associated with your project and you won't affect anyone else's. :)

0 votes
Sheral Hewes January 13, 2015

How do you reference original estimate in simple validation script to ensure it is required based on a specific issue type on create issue.   tried the following code:

if (issue.issueTypeObject.name == "Task"){
	breturn = true;
        if(cfValues['Original Estimate'] != null && !cfValues['Original Estimate'].equals("")){
		breturn = true;
	} else {
		breturn = false;
	}
        return breturn;
} else { 
	return true;
}

Using Jira 5.2 ---- Should the field be timetracking instead of Original Estimate?

saravanan subramanian January 13, 2015

yes - time tracking consists of original estimate , remaining estimate etc - i made the entire time tracking field as mandatory to avoid the issue

I am not able to make it a mandatory field due to other issue types not requiring it.

saravanan subramanian January 13, 2015

create a seperate work flow and field configuration scheme for the issue type that requires it

Patrick van der Rijst
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2016

In your case you could still set "0m" as a value.

0 votes

I've run into this one too... Anyone got any ideas?

Suggest an answer