The best way to redirect old links from Jira to the new Jira server.

Steven Parsons August 29, 2012

HI,

I was wondering if anyone has done this before in the past. I am planning on upgrading Jira this weekend. During the upgrade it will be moved to a new server and renamed.

Can anyone give me the best solution for routing the old jira links to the new server?

thanks,

Steven

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2012

I've always done that with a rewrite or proxy in Apache. Assuming you're behind an Apache server of course.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2012

If you're not behind apache you can still run one on the old host/port combination. Or get the old DNS entry pointed to the new server and have apache listening on the old port, then rewrite to the new port. Now would be a good time to incorporate apache or nginx into your new setup...

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2012
Steven Parsons August 29, 2012

Thanks, I will take a look at http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2012

It's the easiest way, problem is you will need to keep the old jira running (unless you know how to knock up a java webapp). Make sure you point to a dummy database if you keep jira running.

Suggest an answer