The best practice to retrive data from JIRA server?

Mosh June 1, 2015

Hello,

I'd like to ask what would be the best practice to retrieve data from JIRA server? I have to find the most efficient way (in terms of response time or loading time) to load a bunch of issue-IDs.

I have full access to JIRA server so all ways are considerable (RESTful \ SSH \ command-line etc. - you tell me please).

Assumptions: My JIRA server is running on Windows server but in near future we plan to move it to Linux (I have to support both options)

Many thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2015

Hi Mosh,

The safest way of retrieving such information is by using JIRA Query Language or JIRA's REST API.

Kind regards,
Felipe Kraemer

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2015

Why do you think JQL search does not work for you?

What data are you looking for? 

Rahul

Mosh June 1, 2015

I'm not familiar yet with JQL. I know it's JIRA SQL, but what do you actually mean in corresponding to response time? I have to retrieve all issue IDs which are assigned to a particular project.

Mosh June 1, 2015

Do you think that if I retrieve all issue IDS that are assigned to a particular project PLUS a particular user, it should run faster? Is this query running on the server side? Is there a technical document that explains how it actually work?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2015

JQL is not JIRA SQL. It has a lot in common with SQL, but it is not SQL, it's Jira Query Language. SQL returns selections of data, JQL gives you a list of pointers to issues and nothing else. Anyway, Rahul's question is valid - why are you doing this? Not the how, but why? What can't you do in JIRA that you think you want to scrape out to another system? And then to answer the question too - use REST. It's platform independent (doesn't matter what your database or server operating systems are), it does not change much (and when it does, it's almost always more functions and existing ones do not change), it gives you standardised output, and you can run searches with it. Whatever method you use WILL run on the server.

Mosh June 1, 2015

Thanks! "What can't you do in JIRA that you think you want to scrape out to another system?" I have to generate a list with issue IDs (a combo-box) in a different system where I can provide a link to an Issue ID. One more question about REST: does it really runs fast with JIRA? i.e. it's based on URLs and browsers, and I saw sometimes it could ran slower than using a native command-line on the server side. Is this correct or I should prefer REST anyway? Thanks again

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2015

Definitely use REST for that. A "server side" command has zero advantages, as you need to use either a scrape via the ui (ugly and slower), a direct database read (often painful to construct and you don't want to have to issue it or maintain it) or a REST call. JIRA has *no* command line options, it's a service built to serve a web-application.

Suggest an answer