The algorithm behind the rank field via API

Thomas Deiler June 15, 2015

Hi,

we would like to make use of the Rank (from JIRA Agile) field via API. I currently read the field "customfield_12120" this is the rank of our agile plugins. The content looks like "0|i0yrb3:". How does this work? Do I use the right field for the rank?

Thanks for any help Thomas D

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2015

Yes, you've got the right field.  It's not as simple as "just an algorithm", you need a bit of background to understand what it's doing.  I've bookmarked https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILEKB/Troubleshooting+New+Ranking+System+Issues as it gives the right level of detail to get you started.  However, it doesn't give you the information you need to actually read a rank in the way you're probably thinking.

The problem here is that the absolute value of the ranking field is utterly useless on its own.  What it tells you is "I am higher or lower than issue with another value for the rank".  You can use the rank for sort or comparing with other issues, but that's it.  As a value, there's nothing useful there.

Rather than ramble through the rest of the expected conversation that often happens next, I'd like to ask you - what do you want to do with this rank if you read it?

Suggest an answer