The Kanban and Backlog buttons are missing

Michael Pack October 26, 2016

The Kanban and Backlog buttons that are usually on the left hand side of my board are missing. What did I do to remove them and how do I get them back?

Thanks for your help!

8 answers

1 vote
Agile Digest July 11, 2018

Debakshi, 

Kanban works little differently than scrum. as per Kanban everything you are expecting as backlog, by default appears on first column of the kanban board. however in Jira you can get it back by making some changes at board setting.

Lets first understand that each kanban board column is mapped with one workflow state. so no states are available to show any issues at backlog.

If you go to the column setting on your kanban board you will find the first column is reserved as kanban backlog, with no states mapped by default. If you want to have some workflow state to appear in backlog, assign that State to Kanban Backlog column. After doing that your Backlog icon will appear back, exactly where you are expecting.

Best Regards

Agile Digest.

siboconnection August 11, 2018

This solved the issue for me when the backlog had disappeared from a board. I am not sure why, but there was no status mapped to the backglog.

1 vote
Michael Pack October 26, 2016

It appears to be related to the backlog functionality. The buttons are working for some of our projects but not others.

0 votes
Dominik M. April 24, 2019

Possible solution - users in jira-software group must match the number of granted Jira license users:

2019-04-24 13_12_16-Start.png

0 votes

I have created a Kanban Board but unable to see Backlog button. Please suggest.

0 votes
MarcelW October 26, 2016

See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-15070

Rollout for this fix is pending.

0 votes
Jason Pamplin October 26, 2016

This is a huge help.  Obviously, that isn't a solution (put the buttons back) but at least I can work.  I kinda got hooked on that feature and felt lost without it.

0 votes
Dustin Burke October 26, 2016
0 votes
Dustin Burke October 26, 2016

Ran into the same issue here.  Initially thought it was just the beta "Kanban boards" feature affected but it seems even Scrum boards are as well.  

Suggest an answer