The JIRA Boards are missing after upgrading from JIRA server 7.2.6 to 7.8

Anup Vijayaraghavan March 15, 2018

have upgraded Jira Server from version 7.2.6 to 7.8. I followed the instructions here as we are on Solaris

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/upgrading-jira-applications-manually-802592252.html

After the upgrade, I restored from an export from the previous version and I cannot see any boards.

I did a re-index and restarted the Jira service with no luck.

Cannot see anything in the tomcat logs as well.

Any help is appreciated.

13 answers

0 votes
Sergey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2018

Hi Vickey,

Another thing to check - is JIRA behind a reverse proxy? If so, can you try and access JIRA directly, i.e. bypassing the reverse proxy to see if it works? If it does -- you will may need to reaply your customisations, most importantly ones from server.xml (hope you have a backup from 7.2.6 conf folder.

Also, sometimes system plugins get disabled in JIRA -- please run the following query to check that:

select * from pluginstate;

now if there are some plugins that are show as disabled -- it doesn't necessarily means there's an issue there -- it would be good to see what exactly those plugins are before deciding on next steps, but if you have a test instance linked to a test database -- you can try deleting all content from that table and restart JIRA (stop JIRA first)'

Also would be a good idea to check what exactly is happening when the browser is trying to access JIRA, for that you can capture a .HAR file and see if it gives any hints:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/generating-har-files-and-analyzing-web-requests-720420612.html

Also, always a good idea to check the logs, most importantly atlassian-jira.log (JIRA log) and catalina.out (tomcat log) for any errors during the startup. You can also _feed_ these logs to the built in JIRA log analyser (JIRA -> System (Settings) -> Troubleshooting and Support Tools -> Log analyser) - There's a good chance it will actually identify the culprit for you  :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sergey

Anup Vijayaraghavan April 12, 2018

Hi Sergey and Vickey

I upgraded to version 7.8.2 today and everything worked smoothly.

I did drop the backup table before I took the export. Not sure if that fixed it or the difference in version did it.

Anyway.. thanks for all your suggestions.

Regards

Anup

0 votes
Anup Vijayaraghavan March 18, 2018

Thanks for all your suggestions Vickey. I will do another export and import (I could see a backup table in the import that was causing an error).

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2018

Thanks for the reply - I was kinda confused what must have gone wrong :p

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2018

When you said " I cannot see any boards. "  You meant some boards are missing ? I thought you dont see the board menu,

I think you should make sure you restored the data properly which ends finally with an automatic reindexing at the end,

True.. none of the old boards are visible. 

Did not see any errors on the screen.

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

Is the above module enabled ?

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

3.JPG

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

2.JPG

I will check and get back to you. Away from my desk for an hour or so. 

all the modules in JIRA agile are enabled

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

Go to Add-Ons - select application components - select jira agile - under that check if module name " Planning Board Menu Item"   is enabled .

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

One thing though Anup - it is quite not a good idea to use data that was in 7.2.6 into 7.8. 

You could have upgraded JIRA directly with the data.

We are on solaris and the upgrade path was a manual upgrade.

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

I have done several upgrades on RedHat Linux - shouldnt be too different from Solaris

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

I hope you did not zoom in your browser too much to hide the MENU -I have seen may users do that as well.

Can create and view boards but cannot see the old boards from the restore.  Everything else...users issues workflows etc seems to be fine 

Like RDaridan likes this
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

You mean nothing from the restore ? Did the restore complete properly ?

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

And by the way I hope you upgraded software and not core :-)

I have upgraded JIRA software.

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

Does it show installed ?

Yes it does.

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

1.JPG

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

Go to applications and check if jira software is installed

Suggest an answer