Text boxes lose line breaks on paste

Josh Tilton March 17, 2015

My developers paste their changes into text fields but with the implementation of the WYSIWYG editor pasted text strings no longer have line breaks that were part of the copied text.  How do I correct this?

4 answers

1 vote
Andriy Yakovlev _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2015
0 votes
granada Coder April 24, 2020

Yes, try a different browser.

Microsoft EDGE, did not work for me.

Chrome, worked for me.

0 votes
Josh Tilton March 18, 2015

Behavior is the same, the issue appears to be browser related.  It happens in IE 11 but not in Chrome.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2015

For JIRA 6.4 and I assume greater ...

Under the other selection (plus sign and down arrow) there are choices for code and preformatted.   I would insert one of those and then paste your text over the example text remembering to leave the tags in place.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2015

Instead of using ctrl-V, try selecting the dummy text from the preformatted tag and then right click and choose paste from the menu. That worked for me in IE 11

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2015

The other thing you could try is enabling compatibility mode. Both IE10 and IE 11 have reported issues with copy/paste.

Josh Tilton March 25, 2015

Right Click and paste worked in IE, thanks

Nima Rafiei April 15, 2020

+1 on Chrome! Right click works

Suggest an answer