Text Field (read only) Field will not display on transition screen

Brian W. Bishop June 20, 2017

the field has value, as I am using a postfunction to set it and it shows on the edit/view screens. but when I add it to a transition field, it will not display

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2017

No, it's a known annoyance.  JIRA has several types of "view" for a field, and a field must tell it which views it supports.  Obviously, there's a view view, but it's also got edit, xml, search and I think there are some others.

Create, Edit and Transition screens all ask for the "Edit" template for a field. 

The read-only custom field in JIRA does not have one, it's only got view, xml and search.  So it won't come out on transition screens.

ok thanks Nic. I just had atlassian enable the jira toolkit plugin in my cloud, in the hopes I could get the Message (view) custom field type to show up on a transition screen.... no joy so far. Any insight on this tactic?

oh well. if I had read the fine print I guess I wouldn't have tried this. transition screen != edit or view screens

Message Custom Field (for edit)

(message)

A custom field whose default value will be displayed as HTML or as rendered wiki markup in OnDemand on an 'Edit' screen.

Module cannot be modified

Message Custom Field (for view)

(viewmessage)

A custom field whose default value will be displayed as HTML or as rendered wiki markup in OnDemand on the 'View' screen.

Like Antonio García Jardón likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2017

No, you're going down the right path (although they're turning that add-on off in some places).

The transition screen is an "edit", so a "message custom field (for edit)" will work here.  The usual mistake people make here is to not put the message in the field's default value, they use the description!

Like # people like this

ah bless you Nic.  thank you.  3rd time is the charm.  this stuff is so much easier in Server with correct plugins.....

Tomáš Vrabec October 7, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- sorry to bring this upfront from past, but I just run into SRJSUP-26989 in your bugtracking portal - getting null when trying to read read-only field on transition screen.

Could this be the root-cause? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2022

Possibly, but my feeling is that the message fields do not present as read-only (they functionally are read-only, of course, but they don't tell Jira that in the background)

Tomáš Vrabec October 9, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- so what is the best approach, if any? 

I need to read Jira read-only field during transition screen via Behaviours. 

Thinking about calling underlying issue but cannot make it works, even with support help, still getting "null" all the time for the field with value. But during transition its null.

Suggest an answer