Test mail server connection via API

Ameya Savale October 18, 2017

Hi,

We have the scriptrunner plugin installed allowing us to define custom rest endpoints. I want to implement an endpoint which will test the connectivity of an incoming mail server defined in our JIRA instance.

I see that there is a class which seems like it would help me do exactly that, com.atlassian.jira.plugins.mail.webwork.VerifyPopServerConnection

I had two questions regarding this

1. Would using this class be the proper way to test the connectivity of the incoming mail server?

2. If this is the right class, how would I go about getting an instance of this class?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2017

Are you checking health of the mail server?   There is a free marketplace addin that gives you that api access.

Mail Queue Monitor 

Ameya Savale October 19, 2017

Yeah I want to check whether the connection is successful, like the action that is done when you click on the "Test Connection" button in the UI for editing/creating a mail server.

I don't want to add a plugin, because our instance is under heavy use, and plugins can have performance impacts.

Rakshith September 4, 2018

I have over 50 pop/imap servers configured and have to check its connection daily.

I tried to test connection with curl but since there is delay in checking connection and displaying the result of the connection, curl doesnt wait till complete full page load.

Is there any way to automate these connection check?

Akhil Krishnan June 20, 2022

@Ameya Savale  @Rakshith  

I have the same requirement . could you please let me know if you were able to automate this ? 

Akhil Krishnan June 20, 2022

Hi @Ameya Savale 

were you able to achieve this via any method ? 

Suggest an answer