Test case upload through utility importer

manoj rajagopal December 14, 2015

Is it possible to upload test cases with steps and result.

I tried to import test cases with Label,test step,expected result,priority,test data but after importing Issue id is created in JIRA with all information from Excel except Test step and Expected result.

Can someone assist me on this , also please provide the Excel template to upload test cases if any.

2 answers

0 votes
manoj rajagopal December 17, 2015

Hi Brain,

It works when i follow the steps mentioned by you.

Can you please advise what value to use for priority column in Excel , is that something i should use like P1-Highest for P1 cases or do i need to use any other format for priority in excel

Brian Ross December 17, 2015

Hello Manoj, I normally don't import Priority into my test cases, so I don't have a good answer for that. My recommendation would be to create a test case manually and see what all the options are for priority. Then enter one of the priorities into your import template priority field and see what happens when you import it.

0 votes
Brian Ross December 14, 2015

There are a couple of different ways to get the Test Steps imported.

Try this:

Use your existing import template

Set the "Discriminator" to "By Empty Row"

Row One has all your headers

Row two to Row "X" has all your test steps

Row "X"+1 Insert a blank row

Row "X"+2 start your next test case

When you import, everything from Row 2 to Row "X" will be the Test Steps in one Test Case.

John K February 4, 2016

Hi Brian,

Just curious on how to do "Set the "Discriminator" to "By Empty Row"", could please tell this more specific? Or give me an example? 

Thanks!

Regards,

John K

Brian Ross February 8, 2016

When you open your zfj-importer-utility.jar you should see this screen

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 4.33.05 PM.png

Set the discriminator to "by empty row" 

In your excel spread sheet, if you have information in rows 2,3,4,5 and a blank in row 6, then the information in rows 2,3,4,5 will be test steps for the test case name they are related to.  Keep in mind, the test case name has to be present in all the rows, or the tool will have an issue determining the blank row.

Suggest an answer