Test State - Resolution that doesn't cross out Jira tag

Peter Drier November 25, 2012

Basically, want to add a "Test" state into the workflow.. Between Open and Resolved/Closed.

• When developer "resolves" the issue, it goes to the test state.
  • Test issues would be assigned back to the creator.

I've done that so far, and I'm stuck because the "resolve" screen fills out the resolution field. Thus the creator doesn't see the issue in their open items list.. and the issue ends up basically stuck in test.

I want the developer to input their resolution selection, but possibly have it go to a different field.. "Developer Resolution" perhaps.. And once it's "Test Passed" by the tester/originator, the "Developer Resolution" could be copied/moved over to the actual Resolution field? If this could work, what field type would "Developer Resolution" be? I can't seem to reuse the existing Resolution control/field/list..

Another option would be to redefine how an issue is defined as finished by project in Jira.. Default would be "Resolution <> '' " but in this case, I'd actually go Status in (Resolved, Closed)

Thoughts? Anyone else done something similar?

Thanks -Peter

6 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2012

Mmm, I knew they were waving people this way for general help and advice from the beginning of OnDemand, but I don't think that's very fair unless they're going to plaster a "this is not official support, it's the community" type warning on the link.

I'd be tempted to raise the support request, and mention that they're not responding to Answers or being poked.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2012

Hi Peter,

we are seting the resolution when the development is done. All of our testers know that the issues are not "open" in Jira anymore. They have their own filter on their dashboards to find the issues they have to test. They have their own workflow status for that.

If the test is ok, the issue is going back to development (another workflow status), who will release the next version, when all issues are tested.

If a test is not ok, the issue is also going back to development (one of the further workflow status), but in this workflow transition we set the solution to "none".

So we always see, if there's a resolution for an issue, whether it is in test or in development. We don't have a different resolution field.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Thomas

Peter Drier December 4, 2012

The challenge we have with this.. our testers are also our business users who also use jira for their own purposes.. so the fact that "test" state jiras have a resolution already makes them done and not show up in the "Assigned to me" widget.. I can't change their project/workflow/habits.. so I have to figure out how to make my "Test" state still be considered open by Jira en mass.

0 votes

they took away the submit a support request from the ondemand jira admin site.. or I can't find it any more.. "Answers" is now in the footer on every page.. and there is a "poke atlassian" button.. so I'd say these changes on their part, plus our paying a good amount every month, should warrant some response. or do I have to submit a support request pointing at this answers question to force their hand.. that would be a POOR way to treat customers.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2012

Er, Answers is for the community of users of Atlassian products. Of course, that includes Atlassian, and they are here, but under no obligation to say anything at all. If you want them to answer, raise a support call with them

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2012

Peter, what you describe seems to be a valid use for a customized workflow, with a specific 'developer resolution screen, having perhaps a select drop down with predefined 'developer outputs' like 'worksforme', combined with a custom field to contain the 'developer message'. The final 'resolution' of the issue would be for the testers to enter. what am I missing?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2012

My reading was slightly different - I thought the trick might be to have everything you've just said, but instead of the testers entering the resolution, you might copy it from what the developer said earlier, on a "pass test" transition. Obviously, needs a spot of code to copy from custom field to resolution.

Nic, you're on the track I was thinking.. but we can't write code to copy fields on the ondemand version.. so this can't work sadly..

and I'd prefer to use the "resolutions" field at the development end so the choices can be managed by traditional means.. but you can't have a custom field use the resolution choice combobox.. :(

0 votes

a week an no response from atlassian.. I've poked you a few times, what use is answers if you don't answer?

Suggest an answer