Temporary Access to Administrative functions

Nageswarrao Muniganti September 14, 2017

Hi,

I want to give Admin Permissions to a User only for a certain period of time (say a day or two)? How do I do that in Jira and Confluence?

If I am not wrong, once I do this, the user will shown a warning on top of the page saying "You have temporary access to Administrative functions.  Drop access...."

thanks,

naag

2 answers

0 votes
Jarrod Price
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2022
0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2017

Hi Naag,

The message you're thinking of is actually when a user who already has administrative permissions, tries to perform an administrative task.

Then Jira gives the user access via a secure session for a default amount of time, and this is when they see the message. See Configuring Secure Administrative Sessions.

To give a user admin permissions for a certain period of time you would need to edit the Jira and Confluence Global permissions and actually give them administrative access. When you don't want them to have it anymore, you can remove the access.

See Jira - Managing global permissions and Confluence - Global permissions overview.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Jeffry Gamba October 2, 2019

What will happen if I drop the access?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 3, 2019

@Jeffry Gamba,

Happy to help. Are you referring to the original message that Naag quoted?

"You have temporary access to Administrative functions.  Drop access...."

This message will show each time a current administrative user tries to access the admin settings in Jira. You drop access whenever you're finished doing what you need to do as an administrator. If you need it again, you just need to access the settings again.

I hope that's clear!

Regards,

Shannon

Jeffry Gamba October 3, 2019

@Shannon S you mean dropping access won't drop my administrator rights. After dropping access, I can still do the same thing with my admin rights, is this right?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 4, 2019

Jheff,

That's correct, you keep your role as an admin. It's a security feature so that you only have access to the admin settings when you need them.

I hope that's clear! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Jeffry Gamba likes this

Suggest an answer