Tempo exports incorrect worklogs upon change in User TimeZone

Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2014

We're using Tempo plugin for time tracking and billing purposes of our support guys located in different geographic locations.

Our JIRA's Default TimeZone is (GMT-06.00) Chicago. So when our support guy changes his user timezone to America - Denver. All the worklog timestamps are changed and exporting the Worklog for the current day doesn't displays the work logged for the current day.

I've gone through some of the Tempo's article and further I disabled the default JIRA's worklog and tested if the Tempo Worklog for the current day is exported properly irrespective of change in the user time zone. But I had no luck.

I've disabled the following JIRA Worlog modules in JIRA. But still I am not able to export the Tempo Worklogs properly for different user timezones -

* Administration -> Add-ons -> Manage Add-ons -> System Plugins -> Issue Operations Plugin -> View Issue Ops Bar Work Link (log-work) module and

* Administration -> Add-ons -> Manage Add-ons -> System Plugins -> Issue Tab Panels Plugin -> Work Log Tab Panel (worklog-tab panel) module.

Any help to resolve this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Naren.

2 answers

0 votes
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2014

It might be easier to follow up on this problem through our support system (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/browse/JTS) where you can send us the URL you are using, screenshots and the file you are exporting. This information might help us to investigate this.

0 votes
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2014

Hi Naren,

can you give us some more information on how the worklogs are incorrect after the Timezone change.

When you change the Timezone in your user profile, Tempo does not change the timestamp of the worklogs, but keeps the date and time that the worklog was made. Else you might have the problems of worklogs moving between dates which might cause problems with your billing (f.x. worklogs might move to a holiday).

Kind regards,

Susanne

Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2014

Hi Susanne,

Thanks for that info. Below is some more information on the problem.

We've have a funtionality where we fetch the Tempo Worklog Billed Hours from Tempo Servlet URL based on the date range provided in the two date picker customeilds - Start Date and End Date, for the currently logged in user.

In this functionality, with the help of groovy script we parse the XML Worklog and pull the work logged that is within the date range provided in customfields and output it as the PDF Export.

As said, our JIRA Server's default TZ is (GMT-06.00) Chicago. Now we have users in different geographic locations with different TZ.

So let's say, if the currently logged in user logs working in Denver, sets his TZ to Denver instead of JIRA's default TZ and logs billed hours in Tempo for current date and sets the Start Date and End Date cutomfields value to the current date itself. Then ideally the Tempo Worklog hours should be pulled but currently we're not able to see the worklog.

However, if the user sitting in Denver, resets his TZ to JIRA Server's default TZ i.e., Chicago. Then functionality properly exports the work logged for current day which is within the date range provided in the date picker customfields.

Hope I'm clear now.

Thanks,

Naren.

Suggest an answer