Tempo Planner on JIRA 5.x

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2014

hi,

I am using JIRA 5.2.11 and the new tempo plugin, tempo planner is available only on JIRA 6.x, this is kind of surprising for me as lot of companies are still using JIRA 5.x, anyone else facing this issue?

Thanks,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2014

Hi Tarun,

Sometimes you have to make a difficult decision on whether to spend your efforts on product development or supporting old versions of JIRA. We decided that dev speed was more important in this case and therefor only support JIRA 6 and later. Mind though that JIRA 6 came out a year ago so most companies are at least considering upgrading if they have not already.

Cheers,
Viðar

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2014

Hi Viðar,

I agree with you, but for large companies having JIRA installations I still feel that 5.211 isn't that old since JIRA 6 only came out in May last year and JIRA 6.x has a majorly overhauled UI in comparision to 5.x but internal APIs haven't undergone drastic changes. I was hoping for 5.x support but I guess I would need to wait a while before we upgrade to JIRA 6.x.

Cheers,

Tarun

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2014

You are right Tarun, the UI overhaul is the difficult part for a UI heavy product like Planner. But like you said, large companies will eventually move to 6.x so we can focus on building the right product for them. It is a tough decision, but I believe it is the best decision for everyone.

Suggest an answer