Tempo Planner - General questions for setup

Jasmin January 20, 2015

Hi there,

We are currently evaluating if we can replace our current Excel sheet (in which we make all our release planning) with JIRA and especially with the Tempo Planner. But I'm not quite sure if and how Tempo Planner can cover the following points. In general I would like to have such an overview (all in one):

• See which team member is available on what days
  • See the capacatiy for each team member for each sprint
  • See the already scheduled tasks per team member for each sprint

How can I get to this with Tempo Planner? Some questions I already faced:

• I can add sprints in the planning mode by drag&drop - but why are they not added automatically? I set a start and end date for sprints so why is this not possible?
  • I can add holidays/absences in "Time Tracking" as internal issues but those absences are not displayed in the calendar in the "Planning" view - how can I merge those views?

Thanks in advance for any help smile

Best,

Jasmin

4 answers

0 votes
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2015

Hi Jasmin,

a user that has no "Browse Project" permission for the Project including the Internal issues, can not plan on these issues. 

Planning on Internal Issues must be done by a user that has the "Browse permission" for the Project and the "Approve Timesheet" permission. He can then create plans on internal issues for his Team members. This user will also see the Plans in the Planner Timeline, including the Issue key.

Team members that do not have the "Browse Project" permission will only see the plan in the Planner timeline in a light grey color and marked "Issue".

Tempo management is at the moment reviewing the Internal Issue feature and improvements for this are in our backlog.

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

Susanne

0 votes
Jasmin February 3, 2015

Hi Gudrun,

Thank you for the information smile Regarding the holidy/absence issue: we are using Tempo Planner version 2.1 and Tempo Timesheets version 7.11.1.1. I think these are the latest ones? Could you maybe please give me a quick example how I have to setup/plan vacations for a team member? I'm not quite sure if I do it correct way.

Best,

Jasmin

0 votes
Guðrún Fema Ólafsdóttir January 22, 2015

Hi Jasmin

In the newest version of the Planner, Planner 2.1, the Team Backlog view allows you to get an overview of your team for the current sprint.    It has both an iteration timeline, where you can visually see how your team is allocated for the sprint, and a status board, where you can see member commitment, how many available hours they have and scheduled/completed issues.  The timeline and status board are toggled, which might be the reason why the view is not always the same.

The Planner does not add sprints automatically to the Team Timeline, but requires you to drag and drop it.  In the next release of the Planner, the Planner will however suggest where you should allocated it on the timeline, with regard to the start and the end date of the sprint.  

In the Team Backlog view, you can create an iteration that you can use as a sprint and is shown automatically on the Team Timeline.

Regarding the holiday/absence problem you are experiencing, it might be that the Timesheets version that you are using is old and does not support this feature, since everything planned in Time Tracking should appear on the timeline.

The problem with the sprint names is probably a cache problem, but if you are still experiencing it try to disable and enable Tempo Core.

Best regards,

Gudrun Fema

0 votes
Jasmin January 20, 2015

Update: I have found the view "Backlog" in the planning mode but I'm not sure why sometimes the calendar view is displayed and sometimes not. Also the sprints I have added to the timeline are sometims named as I have named them in the Agile board (e.g. "Alpha" or "Beta") and one of them is just named "Sprint" instead of taking the correct name.

Could anyone please advise?

Suggest an answer