Tempo: Parent issue rollup report

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2016

Tempo team - Why is there no parent issue roll-up report in the product yet? For instance, I can run a report and filter the rows displayed by 1) Projects, 2) Activities, 3) Issues, or 4) Worklogs. #1 and #2 are too high level. #4 has too much detail. And #3 rolls up to subtasks (example below), but not even the name of the parent is visible. To get a report in front of the business people, we need to show them the list of parent issues; they could care less about the subtasks it takes to perform the work.

What are others doing to compensate? Or better yet, what's the ETA from Tempo for this very basic need?

//This is what we get today that does not work (filtering rows=Issues)

JiraProjectKey - JiraProjectName

JiraProjectKey - Version

JiraParentIssueKey / JiraSubtaskIssueKey JiraSubtaskIssueSummary JiraSubtaskIssueTimeSpent

//This is what we need (filtering rows=Parent Issues)

JiraProjectKey - JiraProjectName

JiraProjectKey - Version

JiraParentIssueKey / JiraParentIssueSummary JiraParentIssueSumOfTimeSpent

6 answers

1 vote
Carl_Denault January 8, 2019

The link above : https://tempoplugin.jira.com/browse/TT-81

Seems to not work anymore. Is there any update on this issue? Our company would love also this feature to be in tempo Custom Report.

Our workaround for now is to explain all the Epics / Story / Subtask in the subtask section in JIRA

So in Tempo, the name looks like this in our report --> Epics Name ***This is a story*** Here is the subtask

Weird we are now in 2019 and there is no solution for this issue.

Best Regards,

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2019

Tempo product managers must have locked down their issue tracking since I too cannot get to their ticket (TT-81) any more.

David Vins February 20, 2019

This is precisely why we're now actively searching for alternatives. Tired of the most basic functionality going unaddressed while having to search needlessly for addins that only half address the problem. 

1 vote
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2016

Tempo team? Anything?

Yesterday, I had to release a customer billing report by a) providing the Tempo report by subtasks and then b) also including a table result set of a search to provide the titles of the parent issues. Together, the customer is going to have to mind map the two documents to understand what we did. This is stupid...

0 votes
David Vins January 28, 2019

All of this feel just like it is, work arounds. It's frustrating that such glaringly obvious issues like this are not addressed, after years. Between stuff like this and constantly having to retrofit our process to the way these tools work (and don't work) we're now actively looking at other products, even outside of JIRA.

0 votes
Christian Friede January 25, 2019

We're facing the same Problem and solved it with ScriptRunner plugin:

1. Create a new jql query like: issueFunction in subtasksOf("Epic Link = <your Epic ID>")

2. Save it as Filter

3. Got to Tempo Reports. Create new "Jira Filter Report" and pick your saved filter

4. Group and display your report as usual 

It doesn't allow you to group it on epic level but at least you got all worklogs in your report. 

Best regards

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2019

I have not explored ScriptRunner yet - I probably ought to look into this now that it appears to be fully featured in the cloud offering. Thx for the reminder.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2019

Having tried Christian's approach above using ScriptRunner, I can say that this does not solve the problem. My original, awful workaround is still better which provides the accurate hours report with work logs and I augment this with a separate report of the parent issues touched during the period.

0 votes
Samuel Levine December 13, 2018

Is there another product that Atlassian provides that does this roll-up of all user stories/sub-tasks to the Epic level?

0 votes
Birgir Snævarr Ásþórsson April 11, 2016

Hi Paul

After conferring with the Tempo Timesheet product owner I can tell you that this is not on the immediate roadmap.

Tempo is always looking to to improve the reporting within Timesheets and the product manager would like to get further information regarding your case and suggested that you take a look at an issue that is logged in our external Jira that touches on the same issue that you are facing. The product owners monitor those issues so this could be a excellent channel for you to get your ideas directly to them

The link to the issue is: https://tempoplugin.jira.com/browse/TT-81

Best regards,

Birgir Asthorsson

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2016

Tempo user community - What are you doing in your world to produce a report by parent issue? At this point, I can't believe this simple report demand cannot be yielded. Help me out someone. Big thanks.

Here is an example of what I need, and assume all of us need, right?

Like # people like this
Matthias Kannenberg June 23, 2016

I second that this is a very reasonable request and we are missing this feature, too.. For the moment, we help us with using JIRA Structure to create an Epic -> Story > SubTask overview and let all the spent time accumulate.. But this is only half the way because this is always overall time and not a time frame like per month or per sprint.

Like Garth Hume likes this
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2016

I still cannot believe you and I, Matthias, are the only people affected by this. Without this report structure, I cannot justify paying this kind of money every year for Tempo...I just can't...sad.

Scott Quinlan December 7, 2016

We are configuring a new instance of JIRA and can't believe that issues under an epic don't roll up to tempo but subtasks do.  This makes the way we use JIRA VERY LIMITING.

Jan Wieczerzak August 16, 2017

Adding in another vote for getting this in the product.  Not very efficient when I have to download the data and pull it into another program to get some basic reporting.

Henrik Hyyppä November 2, 2017

Indeed, it would be very useful when reporting hours spent on sub-tasks associated to an epic. Currently I need to do some serious Excel filtering to get the data.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2017

For everyone here and those who will come here, please see the linked Tempo issue above. Vote on it there and add your detailed comments for the Tempo PM to consider. I still can't believe it's so few of us struggling with this very basic need. We can't very well share a report with an Exec with a bunch of lines like "Devd on it" and "testing foobar" and "build hemoglobin" and other low level work items that don't align with the business. Our parent issues and the accumulated hours on the parent issues are what the business cares about and my fiscal people have to stand up to. Thoughts :-|?

David Vins June 21, 2018

Couldn't agree more Paul, I'm astounded this cannot be done out of the box with reports.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

I continue the fund the Tempo Timesheets product, but continue to be very disappointed by the lack of this basic report structure...while Tempo has certainly grown in some areas, those growth areas are not nearly enough to compensate for this missing functionality.

Like Annabel Gray likes this
Sandstorm Media GmbH
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

Hey guys,

this bugs us also and Tempo isn't the only time tracking software, that behaves somehow like this. Because of that we created our own reporting and analytics tool called Exply, which was created to work perfectly with JIRA and Tempo data: Exply for JIRA and Tempo

You may check it out and tell me what you think. There's surely room for improvement, so let me know what's missing, so that we can quickly put it on the roadmap :) 

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2018

Sandstorm, I'm always interested in new add-ons, but without a Cloud-ready option I'm out at the moment. On a sidebar, I'm actually looking at making a move from Cloud to Server in 2020; year one costs are pretty steep, but subsequent years suggest ~20% reduction in what I'm paying now.

Daniel Rea August 21, 2018

It massively sucks that this feature is missing. Because of this I would recommend others in the software development industry against using Tempo. I assumed this functionality would exist when I purchased this software for my company and don't understand why it would be so hard - this seems like the kind of feature that could be coded, tested and released in a few days.

Måns Serneke December 7, 2018

I have used Jira and Tempo for ages. I am happy with most the things provided with this combination but I would love to have this option.

It would be very nice to be able to set it with radio options like:

Select aggregation of reported time:

[o] Aggregate all reported time on tasks/stories and sub-task below them on parent epic

[ ] Aggregate all reported time on subtasks into the parent issue (task/story/etc)

[ ] Do not aggregate reported time 

As it is now I use custom fields that are automatically copied down on children to aggregate time in pivot tables in Excel after exporting the data...

Suggest an answer