[Tempo] Configuration to make the logged work visible only to the current user and to a special group (Controlling)?

Thomas Freitag April 14, 2013

Hello,

we actually use Jira 5.2.9 and Tempo 7.5.3 for time tracking. One requirement of us is, that an user should not see the entries of logged work from an other user. In the issue view under Tempo there is only the work from current user, thats ok. But under the Project Summary in the Activity Stream and in the issue view under Activity in Work Log, History and Activity there are all logged work from all people. Is it possible to configure JIRA / Tempo that we can fulfill the requirement?

I think, we have set the correct permissions in the permission scheme.

Permision Scheme:

Time Tracking Permissions

<th>Permission</th><th>Users / Groups / Project Roles</th>
Work On Issues
Ability to log work done against an issue. Only useful if Time Tracking is turned on.
  • Project Role (Developers)
Edit Own Worklogs
Ability to edit own worklogs made on issues.
  • Project Role (Users)
Edit All Worklogs
Ability to edit all worklogs made on issues.
Delete Own Worklogs
Ability to delete own worklogs made on issues.
  • Project Role (Users)
Delete All Worklogs
Ability to delete all worklogs made on issues.

Tempo/Global Configuration:

<input id="remainingEstimateOptional" class="propertyCheckbox" type="checkbox" name="remainingEstimateOptional" value="remainingEstimateOptional" checked="checked"/> <label for="remainingEstimateOptional"> Remaining estimate is optional </label>
<input id="descriptionOptional" class="propertyCheckbox" type="checkbox" name="descriptionOptional" value="descriptionOptional" checked="checked"/> <label for="descriptionOptional"> Worklog description is optional </label>
<input id="allowLoggingOnClosedBillingKey" class="propertyCheckbox" type="checkbox" name="allowLoggingOnClosedBillingKey" value="allowLoggingOnClosedBillingKey" checked="checked"/> <label for="allowLoggingOnClosedBillingKey"> Allow logging on closed accounts </label>
<input id="allowLoggingOnNotEditableIssue" class="propertyCheckbox" type="checkbox" name="allowLoggingOnNotEditableIssue" value="allowLoggingOnNotEditableIssue" checked="checked"/> <label for="allowLoggingOnNotEditableIssue"> Allow logging on not editable issues </label>
JRA / Time Tracking:

Time Tracking is currently ON.

Note: To change these values deactivate and then reactivate Time Tracking.

The number of working hours per day is 8.
The number of working days per week is 7.
Time estimates will be displayed in the following format: pretty (e.g. 4 days, 4 hours, 30 minutes)
The current default unit for time tracking is minute.
Copying of comments to work description is currently disabled.

For the users you wish to be able to log work on issues, ensure that they have the Work On Issues permission in the relevant permission scheme.

To deactivate Time Tracking, simply click below.

6 answers

1 vote
Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2013

The Activity Stream modules are part of JIRA and can not be controlled by Tempo. As far as we know, there is no way to limit who can see what there unless using a third party plugin. You could disable the activity streams modules but since they contain other information, you might not want to do that. The only plugin that I know of that does restrict the activity stream is the Field Security plugin.

0 votes
Eugene Yasiuchenko January 28, 2020

Try Ledgerify App : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221248/ledgerify?hosting=cloud&tab=overview 

It's much simpler to use. Gives you finance and time/cost information instantly in the ticket view and allows to separate views for developers and managers. 

Universal tool for projects cost controlling, finance, timesheet and client CRM. all in one.

0 votes
Peter Culka September 25, 2017

I have the same question, is there a possibility to add a permission like with issues, like:

* View all work logs

* View own work logs

Is there maybe some plugin that enables this?

Sven Wagner September 25, 2017

Hello Peter,

the View all worklogs permission is available since Tempo Timesheets 8.1 (see https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/spaces/TEMPO/pages/172785879/Granting+permission+to+users#Grantingpermissiontousers-Projectpermissionsandroles).
Also users can only see their on worklogs and users who have "View All Worklogs permission" except that all data are still visible in the all and history tabs (see my above comment from last year).

If you don't need the data shown in these tabs you can follow the steps provided by @Thomas Freitag in his answer from 2013.

As far as I know there is no 3rd party add-on to achieve what you describe. A wrote the developer of the Field Security Plugin and he understands the situation but cannot commit that he is going to adjust his add-on in version 2.0 to remedy this problem caused by Tempo.
I really hope that Tempo itself will do something about this.

0 votes
Deleted user June 1, 2016

We have the same issue! So what do we do now? We bought Tempo in the belief that it would restrict that work logged by a user is not shown to other users except users in project role Tempo Project Manager or users with approve timesheet permission (Team lead, finance team and top management).

Not considering activity (stream) and history renders the all security features of Tempo useless, because users are still able to view logged work of other users.

As far as I know there is currently no valid configuration for the Field Security Plugin in regards to Time Tracking that could work around this security hole.

0 votes
Jaana Takis July 17, 2015

This might be an issue worth addressing because this is a legal requirement in Germany. Because in theory if you have access to the work hours of a user and know the budget then you can work out how much they get paid. And yes, I have the same issue.

0 votes
Thomas Freitag April 14, 2013

I have disabled the following modules in the system plugins.

Issue Tab Panels Plugin,

- Work Log Tab Panel Disabled

Jira Activity Stream Plugin

- JIRA (issue) Disabled

- Activity Stream Issue Tab Panel Disabled

- Activity Stream Disabled

Alfter that, I have the information of the logged Work only in the Historie of an issue.

Now I search for a configuration to delete the "Worklog" information in the History or rather a solution, that no Worklog infomation is enter in the History.

Suggest an answer