Team velocity graph for a mixed Agile Board

shrikant vashishtha January 13, 2013

I understand Greenhopper provides the functionality of creating Agile board with multiple projects. That's great. Based on that I can prioritise backlog on higher level than individual teams and projects.

I can slice sprints based on the priority and velocity of invidual teams. So for instance for project A and B, 3 Scrum teams are working. Depending on the team comfort and velocity sprints are sliced for individual teams.

Now based on the past velocity of teams working in this mode, I would like to get the velocity graph. I don't see how to do that as there seem to be no correlation between sprints and teams. Sprints can have relation with project but not with teams.

Any idea on how to acheive the same.

1 answer

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2013
Actually isn't it as simple a creating boards for teams (with issues that they work on) and use that board for seeing the velocity?
shrikant vashishtha January 14, 2013

Portfolio board (mixed project backlog) is a MUST as that's where prioritisation happens for the whole portfolio on epic level and not just a project. Sprints are sliced from portfolio board based on prioritisation. Each individual team can potentially work on features from 1+ projects.

I can slice multiple sprints on portfolio board but how do I assign them to individual team's board?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2013

Any sprint created in any board will appear in other boards as long as it returns issues which are matching the orginal board. The closure can happen only in the board it was created.

shrikant vashishtha January 20, 2013

Thanks for your answer Renjith. Just to make sure that I understand it correctly, let me work out the example I quoted in the question.

So as you mentioned in the reply, I can have a board for Portfolio and a board for each team working with Portfolio. Team board will also have same number of issues as Portfolio board. Is that correct or team board just need to have issues which relates to the sprint of that team?

Does sprint appear automatically in multiple boards or do I need to do something special for that? Also as per your answer, in case I create a sprint in team board, I will be able to close the issue there. However if I create sprint in Portfolio board, I will be able to close issue only in portfolio board and not in team board. Is that correct?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2013

"Team board will also have same number of issues as Portfolio board. Is that correct or team board just need to have issues which relates to the sprint of that team?" - This depends on what you configure in the Team Board Filter. It need not be same or can be same, while I do not understand why it should be same :)

Yes: Sprints should appear on all the boards when you create from your portfolio board and you will be able to close the issue in the Team board. I meant closure of Sprints is possible only in the Portfolio board.

The best way: Do this on a sample project and see whether it matches what you are trying to achieve.

Suggest an answer