Team-based Resource/Time Planning and Allocation

Scott June 15, 2013

Folks,

Am trying to find a way to do "high level resource planning" with this plug-in. I'm not interested (yet) in detailed task planning which would assign issues/time to individual users. Rather, I'm interested in assigning an issue (overall a set of issues) and associated effort to team(s) of folks, without having to do so individually.

In our development process, an issue may impact multiple "teams", e.g.

• Architecture, 15 team members (4 man-weeks)
  • Development, 80 team members (20 man-weeks)
  • Testing, 20 team members (4 man-weeks)
  • Documentation, 5 team members (2 man-weeks)

and require effort from each (as shown) to complete. Imagine a release with 100 such issues needing to be scoped/planned against a finite but aggregated resource set and you get the picture.

I've tried to create "fictious users" representing "groups", but one cannot over-subscribe/plan effort beyond 100 hours per issue, nor can one define more than 24 hours / day of allocable workload capacity per user, so that doesn't work well.

Defining teams of users doesn't help, because work must still be planning individually per member, even if by a team leader/manager.

I want to assign blocks of work (issues) against blocks of resource (teams) over time, but "coarsely" for initial work scoping and capacity planning. Later on I'd come along, remove those reservations and replace with a real detailed plan of work.

Any shortcuts or ways to "trick" Tempo into enabling what I seek?

Thanks in advance,

-Scott

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott June 25, 2013

JIRA appears to have no good answer here... perhaps Tempo Planner will in time.

0 votes
Sverrir Tynes [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2014

We are proud to announce that Tempo Planner 1.0 has been released.

If the resolution of your request is not according to your needs please feel free to create a new request in our JIRA Project for the Planner

Sverrir TynesTempo QA and support manager

0 votes
Scott June 21, 2013

Viðar,

Any idea when this will be available? I did download 6.0.2, just need your stuff.

Thx,

-Scott

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2013

Sorry Scott but there is still some work to be done to support your use case. I will let you know.

Viðar

0 votes
Scott June 19, 2013

OK... now I'm getting it... I thought that Planner was intended to be a new function added in Timesheet. If you're saying it's different, then I've never seen it and would like to...

I recently started an OnDemand trial with JIRA 6.0 and Tempo, mainly just to play with the latest Tempo version and see what is there. What can I do to get an early look? I also have a standalone instance in a Sandbox here of JIRA 5.2.6.

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2013

Thanks for the interest. It will be available in early access to those signed up to the list on http://www.tempoplugin.com/products/tempo-planner/

It will require JIRA 6. At least the early access version. OnDemand does not accept new plugins so it is unlikely it will be available there anytime soon.

0 votes
Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2013

Hi Scott,

This is a very good use case for Tempo Planner. I think this issue is close to what you describe.

I think it is safe to say that there is no practical trick to this with Tempo Timesheets.

Thanks,
Viðar

Scott June 19, 2013

Thanks for the response. I could not find a workaround.

This would make the Tempo far more useful for larger orgs. Oddly enough there are ways to do things well for detailed planning without Tempo, but no good options yet for what I'm seeking. JIRA is great in a microcosm but limited in high level abstraction. So too Tempo for now.

Thx,

-Scott

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2013

Yes, Tempo Timesheet is mainly for Time Tracking. We are commited to solve the high level approach with Tempo Planner.

Suggest an answer