Tasks with square brackest in summary won't show up if searching for the brackets content.

Chris Sake April 8, 2014

Hi, we marked several tickets with "[ITSM-123...] some text" as title, but when I search for "ITSM" they won't show up.

My search query:

summary ~ "ITSM"

Are square brackets handled specially? How may I search for the text inside of them?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2014

Well two things to mention. First you can't search for text within a phrase like ~"bcd" in "abcd"

Secondly there are special characters that needs escaping like "["

So you can try:

summary ~ "\\[ITSM*"
Chris Sake April 8, 2014

Thanks, I didn't noticed that I need to use an *. But escaping doesn't work.

With summary ~ "\\[ITSM*" it says "The text query '\[ITSM*' for field 'summary' is not valid: probably your range query is incorrect.".

With summary ~ "\[ITSM*" it says (translated to english) "error in JQL-query: '\[' is an illegale JQL escapesequence. Valid escapesequences are \', \", \t, \n, \r, \\, '\ ' and \uXXXX."

Chris Sake April 8, 2014

Ok, I noticed there is a bug in advanced search: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-25092So I'll stick to searching without square brackets.

Suggest an answer