Tasks don't roll over sprint to sprint?

Carey Caulfield March 31, 2021

Hi there - At my previous company as a Product Manager, I would write user stories in Jira (Classic) and my dev team would add tasks to it on the work needed to complete it. I tried to keep these small so that they could be done in one sprint. If not, they'd rollover and the team would complete the remaining tasks. It was great because I could see how many tasks were left to do (and points remaining) to complete the story and deliver the value to the customer.

However, at my new company, my new dev team is saying that in Jira (Classic) that when a user story full of tasks is not completed in a sprint and they roll it over to the next sprint, that the tasks are getting deleted and don't carry over. Is that possible? How might we fix this?

So as a workaround, they are giving my User Stories 0 points then writting a bunch of separate tasks not linked at all, and estimating these with points. As a result, I can't keep track of all these disparate tasks nor of the total estimate. 

Appreciate any ideas and suggestions.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2021

no that is not possible or rather not standard behavior. I suggest you set up a test project and verify what is going on. further inspect their project, board config, etc.

if you can observe the precise behavior then please come back w/ your observations so we can come up w/ the explanation/cause/solution.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events