Task Owner versus Task Assignee

Mark Boles October 1, 2012

Just wondering if the ability exists to setup task ownership, which is static until changed/edited, that would be separate from the tasks assignee.

Example: I create a task in JIRA that I want to own and track and see that I still have it within my "bucket". However I need to send the task off for a technical question from another team member. I want to change the assignee of the task from myself, to the other team member, however I want to keep ownership of that task.

The benifit to this would be for a managers tracking and time-management abilities. Having a team member that has, let's say, 5 tasks assigned for the week show in their bucket, only to find out that 5 more will be reassigned after another team member answers a question, can throw off time-management.

Is this something that is currently available? Perhaps in a roundabout way?

2 answers

0 votes
Prashant Chalke November 5, 2018

Can you suggest, what all screens I should add this new "Owner" field to, so that it appears next to Assignee field everywhere ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2018

The create and view screens (but not edit, as you don't want people to change it later, according to your question).

Go to the project settings and look for the "fields" setting area, that will take you to the screens.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2012

Create a custom field called "owner", make sure it's a "user picker" type field.

You can put the field on the "create" screen, but not on the "edit" screen, and that way, you can assign ownership on creation and not let it change again.

Suggest an answer