TIme spent on different status

jay modi September 6, 2019

Hi,

Can anyone please help me with any inbuilt JIRA solution where I find time spent (Start date and end date ) of Issue in JIRA?

I know there are few add-ons in the market but I do not want to buy them. Is there any JQL  using which I can find the time spent in each status?

5 answers

2 votes
Julia Denys _SaaSJet_ September 15, 2019

Hi @jay modi 

I'm not sure if you can get that kind of information using JQL code or the built-in functionality of Jira Cloud.

But there is an add-on that might be useful for you, based on your request - Time in Status for Jira Cloud by SaaSJet. You can just try it for free for a month.

With this add-on, you can track up to 7 types of time reports that will show you how much time any type of issue spends in each of our issue statuses. One of them, for example, is a Status Entrance Date report which shows the date and time when every issue entered each of the statuses for the first time.

Besides this report, you can measure:

• Time in status 
  • Status Count 

• Transition Count 

• Assignee Time 
  • Average Time 
  • Time in Status per Date 

Moreover, this add-on has an advanced filtering system by project, filter, report, label, sprint, and assignee (also by issue creation, update, and resolution date).

You can view all of the reports not only in a grid but as charts (Pie, Bar, and Area Charts). You can exclude breaks, non-working hours, or holidays and create multiple calendars.

Hope, that Time in Status for Jira Cloud will help you to create reports that you need.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2019

Hi Jay. I'm guessing that you are looking for the 'age' of an issue where age = resolutiondate - createddate. Unfortunately this does not exist OOTB. Now if by "time spent" you mean the amount of time someone actually worked on the issue then use Time Logging feature.

Hi Jake, Thanks for your reply.

Please find more detail explanation of my requirement.

In my workflow, I have below status for issue.

To do- In Progress- Dev completed 

I want to find the time spent by developer on In Progress state.

Create date might not be useful as it will not show the actual time spent on issue. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2019

i would argue that how long an issue sits in a given state (duration) doesn't equate to actual time spent (effort). Using duration in status could be quite misleading. Simple example - i move an issue to In Progress and get started. Thirty min in I get side-tracked for two hours then I go to lunch (1h) and when I return I start working the issue again for 45m and move to done. Total effort = 1h15m, duration = 4h15m. My point here is that you should use time logging to capture effort vs. duration. You can use the Average Age gadget to monitor the age of issues to get an idea of how long on average it takes to get issues meeting certain criteria thru the pipeline.

All that said, if you still want to capture time-in-status then you are looking at an addon i'm afraid. I really wish that this was available OOTB but it isn't. You could also consider exporting to CSV, open in Excel and do the math there. I would also recommend using the Search bar above to find other threads on "time in status". Here is a link to that very search 

Like jay modi likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2019

for anyone interested there are a number of open requests. Here is one that you might wish to watch/vote for - JRACLOUD-60841. You will note that it has been open since 2016.

@jay modi as you are on server one free addon you may want to look at (no experience or affiliation on my part) - time-in-status-field

Like jay modi likes this
jay modi September 20, 2019

Hi Jack,

The time-in-status-field satisfies my requirements. Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards,

Jay

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 16, 2019

Hello @jay modi,

Unfortunately it is not possible to get this data without custom development. Built-in JQL does not give this data.

Our team at OBSS created Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Cloud, Server and Data Center.

Using Time in Status you can report how much time each issue spent on each status, each assignee or even each user group. (useful for identifying bottlenecks in your process). You can also see the number of times each status or transition was used (very useful for inspecting things like reopen counts). 

You can produce reports based on the default 24/7 calendar or define your own business calendars with custom workdays and working hours. 

Also add system or custom fields as columns to your report and customize the view format of durations.

All data can be exported as XLS, XLSX, CSV.

Emre Toptancı

OBSS

0 votes

Hi Guys, Thanks for your inputs.

Can I get a date when issue move into one state to another state (In place of time)?

Thanks

Jay

Lime Trees September 6, 2019

Hi,

you have it in Jira - please have a look at Activity or History tab on your issue.

Regards,

Lime Trees Support Team

Hi,

But we can see it for individual issues,I want to see it for all the issues I created in the month at the same time (may be using JQL query) ? Is there any way I can see it?

Regards,

Jay

Hi,

Yup, you can use JQL query - or a special feature from our app Status History PRO which helps you to create a matrix report with all available fields from issues. More details you can find here.

Regards,

Lime Trees Support Team

0 votes

Hi,

I totally agree with Jack - duration and effort are two different cases. You can't have it in Jira OOTB. We have two apps for this purpose.

First, Status History PRO gives you many features to check how long an issue spent in given status. You can check it here.

Second one, Worklog History PRO shows how much work was logged on issues, more details can be found here.

Regards,

Lime Trees Support Team

Suggest an answer