TFS 2010 and JIRA (Associating TFS Task/bug in JIRA)

Chetan January 26, 2016

Hi all,

We are using Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2010 for our source control management as well as build activities, we got acquired by new company and they are using JIRA ( and we are totally new to this tool) as ALM (Application Life Cycle Management) tool. In order to align with new company standards each task\work\ticket wll be created in JIRA. My question is how to associate TFS work items like Task, bug into JIRA. I did some research on internet got to know that there are plugins available ( UseTFS / TFS4JIRA). before i wanted to get experts advise, so could you please guide me on how should i should go ahead with and propose to management as well as to JIRA admin.

Thanks,

Chetan 

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2016

To my mind, you've answered your own question - use TFS4JIRA.  I've used it a couple of times and it does the job.  I know less about UseTFS, so I'd recommend comparing the two for your uses.

Although there's a slightly better answer in a lot of cases - use JIRA and move off TFS.

Nicholas Starinsky October 20, 2016

Nic, can you provide a screenshot or text of TFS (we are on 2015) to JIRA work item type mapping from #TFS4JIRA. So far I have mapped Bug - Bug, Tasks  - Task, User Story - Story but haven't done the rest. Is there a recommend many to one (JIRA) mapping or should I make equivalent issue types in JIRA to match TFS names. I need to do initial copy using TFS4JIRA and continue using TFS4JIRA sync for at least few months. I ran into many issues with fields not mapping correctly but have been working slowly by synchronizing minimum number of fields between MS and JIRA plus adding some custom fields to JIRA where no equivalent was available in JIRA and PMs wanted to preserve that data.

Thanks in advance, Nick.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2016

My clients have moved off TFS, I don't have any access any more.  I'd say you should map things as best works for you though.

Suggest an answer