Sync Jira Cloud intsance to a Jira server instance

Neil H Cameron May 11, 2015

Hi

Is it possible to Sync a Jira Cloud intsance to a Jira server instance?

What is the best approach?

3 answers

3 votes
Łukasz Krupa August 28, 2019

Hi, 

I'm IssueSYNC Product Owner. 

You can use existing solution to synchronize multiple Jira instances like IssueSYNC. It works for:
- cloud
- server
- data center deployments and supports different Jira version 6, 7, 8 and Jira editions
- Core
- Software
- Service Desk.

You setup whole integration via UI and you can let your project administrator's to setup/tune own synchronization for remote Jira connections prepared by sys admin before.

If you have questions, please contact us.

Cheers,
Łukasz

0 votes
AndrewP May 27, 2015

Any update on this? I have a customer who wants to allow External Access (Create/Edit/Attach/Delete) to specific projects only. No problem there but I have the feeling that Security is not going to want to open the App to the public - which would be required.

Customer has a Cloud Service and has asked if Projects can be synced back and forth into an op premise 6.4.1 version of JIRA in order to capture new data/changes.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2015

Well, the original poster never bothered to get back to us with an actual definition, but you have :-) In your case, I'd expose it externally and be very strict on the permissions - create/edit/attach are all standard parts of the permission schemes, so if you're careful with them, you're fine (I left out delete because I generally don't let people delete from JIRA - it's only admins who should do that because they're the ones who have to clean up the mess when someone whinges because they've been too stupid to understand that delete really is delete) The project sync though - there are some addons which will get you close, but none of them are fully automatic. It's a long and complex setup, and having one of the systems on Cloud complicates it further because you have to do nearly all the work on the other end and the "pull" part of it becomes a pain. Even then, it's not a full "sync" - you can't have a master:master relationship because if someone creates an issue in JIRA1 and someone else hits JIRA2 you can easily end up with a crossover clash - the absolute best you can do is have read-only projects in one JIRA with the full write access in the other. And the databases won't match either!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2015

You probably need to start by defining "sync".  Some comment exchange?  Issue for issue mapping?  Issues updating each other?  Complete project being identical?

Suggest an answer