Sync JIRA database

Saneth Kumar May 25, 2012

Hi,

We're setting up a Disaster Recovery (DR) Server for JIRA.

When i tried syncing the databases of the 2 instances using a 3rd party tool (Navicat). It worked fine, all the issues were in-sync. However, when I tried syncing the oracle archive logs (using Oracle DataGuard) and tried to start the DR-JIRA Server. It started off as a new installation! The logs said that none of the tables were present.

I had previously restored a backup of JIRA before syncing the databases and on the Database CLI said that both databases were in sync

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Saneth

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2012

On your DR-Server, what is the jira.home directory set to? It will have to be a copy (with different dbconfig.xml) to your production instance. If your DR-Server is booting from a jira.home that is 'empty' then it will think you need to set up JIRA

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2012

jira.home is generally set in the atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties (I think the file is) OR can also be set by the system property i.e. -Djira.home=SOMELOCATION

This setting will tell you where JIRA is looking to store it's data (that isn't in the db). This is also where the dbconfig.xml file is that configures how JIRA connects to the database

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your answer.

Since my DR-Server is a new installation I can't access System Info in order to check what jira.home is set to. Is there any other place I can checn and change it?

Also, could you please tell me where dbconfig.xml is located? I searching in the Installation and Home Directory but couldn't find anything.

Thanks again!

Saneth

Hi Colin,

I found that jira.home points to the correct location, but I still cant find dbconfig.xml.

Do you think there's something wrong with the databse sync?

Thank you.

Saneth

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2012

What version of JIRA are you running and how was it installed? Installer, standalone or custom war ?

Hi Colin,

JIRA 4.3 does not have a file called dbconfig.xml. Instead the DB configuration is stored in server.xml and entityengine.xml

JIRA 4.3 Standalone

Saneth Kumar June 10, 2012

Thanks Colin!

I realized that the DB Team had synced the wrong usernames, thats the reason it opened as a new installation.

Thanks for all the help :)

0 votes

I had previously restored a backup of JIRA before syncing the databases and on the Database CLI said that both databases were in sync

Suggest an answer