Switching workflow scheme for a jira project

sap
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

Hi,

We have a particular project in jira with release version 1 having n number of tickets.

Now i need to switch the scheme of the project to a new one and while doing so i have to selectively just migrate the ones in a particular release version to a preferred status while leaving the others as they are.

Please note that this project has many other versions with a lot of tickets in various status.I am unable to find a way out to selectively do this.Anyone has any ideas?

regards,

SAP

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2013

A change of workflow scheme affects the whole project. There is no selective migration - if you change the workflow for an issue-type in the project, then all issues of that type are changed, irrespective of their current state in the workflow.

If I'm reading this correctly, then your problem is you need to split a status? I mean, if you've got say 5 issues that are "in progress" in the current workflow, and when you move to the new workflow you need 2 of them to go to "with developers" and the other three to "with testers".

I'm afraid you're stuck - Jira simply can't handle that. Status mappings are one-to-one - you can only define one target status.

There are two things that might work:

1. If the issues are of different *types*, then the status mappings can be different (so in-progress for issue-type A can be mapped to "with dev" and for issue-type B to "with test")

2. The usual approach - migrate all of them to one status, and then bulk-transition the set that need a different status after the migration. You'll need a way to identify them after the migration, but you've mentioned "versions", so I assume you can filter for them on that? Version data won't change when you migrate workflows.

0 votes
sap
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2013

Hi,

Yes i guess thats not possible.

Suggest an answer