Switching from a Kanban board to a Sprint

Liz July 26, 2017

We have a Kanban board set up for an existing Managed Services project. The tasks would be easier to manage as Sprints, so we now want to change from a Kanban board to a Scrum board.

Does anyone have any idea how we do this? 

4 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

Create a Scrum board and point it at your project.

The boards are technically independent of the project and each other, so you can use many boards that view the same range of issues in different ways.

Liz July 26, 2017

Thanks Nic. At the moment, it's not giving me an option to create a scrum board under this project. It is only giving me a Kanban option. I think when the project was set up it was set up as Software with Kanban task board, and there is also an option when creating a new project to choose Software scrum task management - just not sure how I change this under an existing project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

Ah, you don't do it from the project - try "boards -> create board", select "Scrum" as the type and "create from project"

Liz July 26, 2017

Perfect! Done. Thanks Nic :)

Veronica Caceres
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 27, 2023

Hi!! quick question related to this, I could create the scrum board, but I do not have the CTA to create sprints? what could had happened? we are working on Client's Jira, maybe we do not have permissions? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2023

Yes, you now need the "manage sprint" permission, in every project the board includes.

0 votes
samantha@polymath.network April 3, 2019

I don't see a way to create boards...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2019

Cloud or server?  Do you have Software installed?

samantha@polymath.network April 8, 2019

Cloud. Thanks, Nic, I figured it out. I found a way to create a new board which was very unintuitive.

Agile Vectors June 19, 2019

Will you please let us know the steps that you figured out to create new board?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Yugank Bhatnagar July 26, 2017

I believe tthat you cannot change an existing kanban board to Scrum Board. But you can create new Scrum board keeping your existing Kanban board. Also, you need to define your objectives before you go ahead of creating another borad-Scrum. If your work involves defining the work items as stories for example and delivering the work in short sprints/iterations and your team wish to track and manage work progress over period of time then it is great to have Scrum board as it also comes with lot more reporting options as compared to Kanban. But if your work is continuous in nature as in the case of many QA teams where they have to continuously test the resolved defcets or even in UAT team where they have to keep picking up QA passed defects, Kanban should be fine.

Thanks

Please accept the answer if it works for you !

Liz July 26, 2017

Thanks Yugank :)

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2017

You can't *modify* an existing kanban board into a scrum board. Rather create a new Scrum board based on the same filter which is being used by the Kanban board and start managing the backlog and creating sprints.

Liz July 26, 2017

Thanks Tarun. All sorted.

Suggest an answer