Switching from Classic to a more "modern" workflow

Paul Miller October 31, 2017

We used to use Mantis and are migrating to JIRA for everything. We are currently using the "Classic JIRA Workflow" which more closely matches how we worked in Mantis. So an issue goes from Open to Resolved to either back to Open or Closed if it's truly done.

However, I'd like to start using more modern tools for scheduling work, such as the Backlog and SCRUM board, and the Classic JIRA Workflow scheme does not work with that.

Can anyone suggest a better scheme for what I want to do that will also let me use the other nifty tools that are in there? I also need a bit of hand-holding on the proper way to switch the project's scheme to the different one.

Many thanks!

3 answers

1 vote
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2017

Hi Paul

I think the other point to note here is that you should decide what process (workflow) you currently have, and then make Jira match it, as opposed to seeing what is in Jira and bending your processes to suit.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

If you create a new Scrum or Kanban project, they will give you another style of workflow as a default.  You can then use those workflows in your existing project.  Although I tend to use them as a starting point, rather than a workflow that matches.

Although, the classic scheme does work with backlog and scrum, if you adjust it a bit and map the columns to the workflow.

0 votes
Paul Miller November 2, 2017

Thanks Nic & Warren for your replies. For some reason I didn't get any notification when you replied, so sorry for the delay.

I did manage to get it working as Nic suggested, by finding the columns page and mapping the columns over - then the backlog started working.

Suggest an answer