Switch database under JIRA - a question

Rumceisz May 20, 2014

Hi,

I'm migrating JIRA projects from version 4 to version 6.1.7. Therefore I have two intermediate JIRAs: a version 5 and a version 6.1.7.

When I restored the backup xml in JIRA v5 and did the mappings, changes then I switched the database: simply changed the dbconfig.xml of JIRA v6 to the same database (db of JIRA v5). Then I logged in to JIRA v6 and everything was fine.

Now my problem is that tomorrow I do the real migration: again from start: backup from JIRA v4 -> restore in JIRA v5.

Right now the database of JIRA v5 is the database of JIRA v6 which is upgraded, so - as I guess - this database won't let the XML of JIRA v4 in.

What could I do now? If a create a new database scheme in MySQL and connect it to JIRA v5..what will happen? Can I login to JIRA 5?

Could you please help?

Thanks in advance,

Rumi

3 answers

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2014

Hello Rumceisz,

my suggestion is :

1. Create two empty db (one for JIRA 5.X and one for JIRA6.1.7)

2. Backup your JIRA 4.X version

3. Install a new JIRA 5.X from scratch, pointing to the clean JIRA 5.X db, and restore your JIRA4.X backup.

4. Backup your JIRA5.X

5. Install a new JIRA 6.X from scratch, pointing to the clean JIRA 6.X db, and restore your JIRA5.X backup.

Moreover, using this approach, if something goes wrong, you can rollback to your current prod (JIRA4.X).

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Rumceisz May 20, 2014

Hi Fabio,

thanks!

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2014

you're welcome

Please mark my answer as accepted.

0 votes
Rumceisz May 20, 2014

Hi DJX,

I did a test migration: a created a backup in the source JIRA which is version 4.3 and then I restored this backup in a version 5 JIRA. The target JIRA is of version 6.1.7 so I setup another 6.1.7 JIRA. For upgrading backup from version 5 to 6.1.7 I simply switched database under 6.1.7: I connected to it the database of version 5.

Then I created backup in 6.1.7 and then I imported the involved projects into the target JIRA.

Now I have to do it everything again live. The problem here that - I guess - I cannot reconnect database from 6.1.7 to 5 because it would be a downgrade which is impossible.

What can I do now that I get back an available version 5 JIRA? Create a new scheme in MySQL?

Thanks,
Rumi

0 votes
DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

Can you give a concise description of what your current situation is? I'm not sure which environments you have and what their status is. At first you made it sound like you did your tests in a development environment and now you want to do them in the production. But then you mention that your production is already at version 6? Are you trying to move your test database into production?

Suggest an answer