Suppressing columns in Filter results JIRA

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2013

When we search for filters, the filter results show us these columns

Name, Issues, Owner, Shared With, Subscriptions and popularity.

Now, we have multiple customers on our jira instance and I do not want them to know how many issues are there in various filters.

My question is

How can i remove the column - Issues (which shows the number of issues in that filter) from display.

I understand there is no out of box implementation in jira to achieve this. But any workaround / hack that we have which will help me achieve this?

Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2013

Code, you'll need to hack the templates.

I don't see any point though, for three reasons:

• Your users will only be seeing counts of issues they can see,
  • Where's the harm? Why shouldn't they know numbers? If the numbers are that important, then you should be hiding the issues from them entirely.
  • It's no good just hiding that column. If they're in the slightest bit determined, they can get the numbers out by reading the filter, using a gadget, downloading, rest etc. Hiding the number in one place is pretty much pointless. You'll need to remove the issue navigator, most of the gadgets and stop them using JQL/search.
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2013

Hi Nic

Thanks for your comments.

The need for this - say you have implemented issue security to hide issues which customers dont have to see. Now, just because one of yourr end users accidently created a filter (with everyone), your customer can find the total number of issues in the filter. Most of the time, the filter name is a give away on the data contained in that filter.

There is no way customers can actually see the data (JQL, gadget, rest etc) since they do not have permission, but if they know that in their project there are 100 unresolved bugs (hidden by security) instead of 10, they will ask and will keep asking until you have to tell them.

My understanding is that if customers do not have permission to see the data they cannot see it via any channel (REST, JQL, gadgets etc)

Any pointers on which files i need to modify to achieve this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2013

You're missing my first point. When you hide the issues from them, the numbers in the reports are also hidden.

If a user runs a filter for 100 issues and saves it, then they'll see it in the list with 100 issues. If I am a user who can only see 10 of them, then when I look at the list, it'll say 10 issues. Gadgets, the navigator, everything, they all report on only what I can see.

So as you've hidden the issues, you simply don't need to do this.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2013

Thanks Nic, it works as you said in your answer.

Another point to note is that on 5.2.5 version, the column with number of issues is removed, its there on 5.0.2. So if we upgrade we get rid of the column.

Suggest an answer