Suppress email notification for JIRA update using REST API

Bapuni August 21, 2017

I've written a service which updates few JIRA fields when a new Jira is assigned to my team and many people are not happy as they get email notification for these changes. 

I came across the notifyUsers  flag to suppress the notification. For this to work I need to give admin permission to my bot account and I'm not comfortable in doing that.

I checked about custom notification but that requires change in the Project which is shared by a very large organization.

I'm looking for solution similar to setting a flag while sending the update rest message but I can't find any without giving admin permission to my bot account.

Does anyone else have any other suggestion?

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

Hi Bapuni,

There was a Suggestion ticket open for this behavior that you can find at JRASERVER-34423.  One of the suggestions was to have a special group, like jira-bots (or jira-automation, jira-silent) for which jira will skip sending email notifications if the changes were made by a user part of this group.

Another came from another user in the comments:

Here is a complex workaround, to configure exim4 to filter notifications generated by a certain user, I use .bot user for automation purposes and I don't want to send notifications to users. BTW, this works only for plain text email notifications. https://bitbucket.org/phoebian/phoebian/src/b7dce5876687ee67d1bd8c65cb89c5e1be2954ce/etc/exim4/system.filter?at=default

Take a look at JRASERVER-34423 and  review the comments as there are some additional suggestions.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer