Supporting multiple versions (HW, SW, FW) on a single issue?

Ed Snow November 23, 2014

We have three teams releasing updates; Hardware, software, and firmware revisions.   When defects are filed, the user needs to submit the version for all three.

I'm looking for an elegant way to handle this.

I see two ways to handle this so far

1) User the project versions, and create a version for each combination that is allows/supproted.  Pros' include the project admin being able to add new versions.  The biggest Con is that the list would get very long very fast.

2) Create 3 custom fields for this project only.  That means project related names; hiding them in all the existing field configurations; adding a new proejct specific field configuration.  Pro's include it reflects the way people think about the product under test (it has three versions).  Con: new versions require a system admin to add to the custom field options, the custom field list get unwieldy, time to create is not ideal with all the updates to existing field configurations.

The ideal situation would be for the project to allow additional versions to be added.  I realize that is pretty specific to our situation.

Any other option that would be easier?

1 answer

0 votes
Simon Kegel //SEIBERT/MEDIA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2014

Hey there,

I would prefer the customfield way especially on cloud.
there you don't have the big plugin community as for hosted. 

It's not that elegant but it works and is more handy then your first option.

Hope this could help
Greets
Simon 

Suggest an answer