Supporting Connect for On Premises Instances

Rosy Salameh September 9, 2014

Hello Atlassians,

In AtlasCamp 2014, as a part of your roadmap for 6 months, it had been announced that Atlassian Connect Framework will support On Premises Hosts as well.
Do you have an exact date for that? In that case, what it should be done with P2 Plugin? It will be decommissioned in order to have one unique development platform: Connect?
In fact, we had developed plenty of P2 Plugins for our ON Premises Instance and we want to know about the future of P2 plugin, so, it will be safer for us to prepare in advance for this complete migration to Connect.

Thanks a lot,
Rosy

3 answers

0 votes
David Jacovkis July 22, 2015

I would also appreciate any updates on your plans to bring Connect to On-Premise Jira.

Thanks,

David

0 votes
Steven Yan May 6, 2015

I'm also very interested to understand the timing around bringing Connect to JIRA On Premise. Right now we maintain two versions of our integration with JIRA and want to consolidate the two. Any insight appreciated.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2014

In the short - medium term, P2 plugins are not going away.  Huge swathes of what people consider to be "core" JIRA (i.e. what you get when you just download, install and run JIRA without adding anything) is written as P2 plugins.  That's not going away for a long time.

Secondly, Connect and P2 plugins are very different beasts.  A P2 plugin effectively has access to the core of Jira, it "runs" within JIRA and can do almost anything inside the application.  Connect plugins run outside JIRA effectively and don't have anywhere near the level of access to the internals.  You've got a lot more freedom with Connect plugins because you are not bound to the internal JIRA API, but equally, you don't have direct access to the internals.

Rosy Salameh October 14, 2014

Thanks a lot Nic!

Rosy

Suggest an answer