Support for additional code languages in Wiki Editor for JIRA

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2014

Wiki Editor for JIRA is a nice way to create wiki markup. It supports creation of {code} macro, but just has a template for {code:java}.

It would be great, if Wiki Editor for JIRA could add support for other languages. In standard JIRA it is XML, SQL and JavaScript. With JIRA Syntax Highlighter Plugin installed you also have syntax highlighting for C++, C#, PHP, Python, VB, CSS, Perl, Objective-C, Ruby etc.

Also {code} has some more options lik title=Hello.java and with JIRA Syntax Highlighter Plugin even more highlight=[4,8-10], first-line=10 and hide-linenum.

Any plans to improve {code} support?

3 answers

1 vote
Joakim Wallman June 7, 2016

I would also like support for more languages, in my case C and VHDL.

Tried to install Quick Suggest Macros plugin, but it seems like it's not available on the cloud platform.

0 votes
Anthony De Moss (test) February 11, 2015

Hi Holger,

As an alternative to the Wiki Editor, we've created the Quick Suggest Macros plugin. It adds autocompletion for all existing macros, as well as some additional new macros. You simply type a curly brace "{" and then get an autocomplete dialog.

It supports both of the built-in languages (java & xml) for the code macro at the moment, and we will be adding more language support in the near future.

Cheers,
Anthony 

0 votes
wurbanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2014

Hello,

I'm the author of the add-on. Excuse me my late answer as I just found this question.

The whole editor was designed mostly to provide help with wiki markup and remove the need for remembering it. I understand that in your case, the usage is far from optimal but currrent implementation serves those main purposes while being straight forward. This feature just isn't used a lot and adding it would complicate the user experience in this area.

I plan to work on this feature and expand it moving on. I am also happy to discuss it further. Your comments are very welcome.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
Wojtek

Suggest an answer