Summary field stays required

Spruha Shah November 13, 2019

We have this project within that we dont have the summary field within that one screen in which we dont want it to appear. but somehow while creating a ticket it give us an error saying "Summary: you must specify summary for this issue" -- the reason why it says this is because within the field configuration summary is set to "Required" - and i want to make it optional but somehow we are unable to make the Summary(System field) optional. 

This wasnt like this before....we were able to make this summary field optional. Please help as soon as possible. 

2 answers

1 vote
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2019

Summary field is always mandatory in Jira (and as far as I remember it always was). 

If you want to set a default value you can use this documentation link.

But if you want to hide it (and off course set a default value) you have to use a plugin, like script runner for jira (using behaviors), or power scripts (using live fields).

0 votes
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2019

@Spruha Shah   I would suggest  you create your own plugin but most likely  you  are not able to  you  could use this code snippet.

1. Create a  new tab on the screen and you should name it Hidden   and  then put the summary system field there.

2. use the Java -script to hide and put a default text.  put it in the announcement banner

the number 10502 is the  project value you can  use F12 in developer view fire fox click  inspect and  drag cursor to  the project button and view code to find  this number

(function(){

tF();
AJS.$(function(){tF();});

AJS.$(function() { JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, tF);});

function tF(){

AJS.$("li a:contains('Hidden')").hide();

if ((AJS.$("#issue-create-issue-type").text() == "Bug") || (AJS.$("#issuetype-field").val() == "Bug") &&(AJS.$("#project").val() == "10502") ){

AJS.$("#qf-field-summary").hide();

if(AJS.$("input#summary").val()===" ") AJS.$("input#summary").val("[This summary was generated automatically and should be changed]");
}

}
})();

i hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mo

Suggest an answer