Summarized Hours Gadget For Tempo

brian scott July 21, 2014

Hello friends -

I am playing around with the Tempo add on and appreciate the attention to detail. However, what kind of started me on this path was a request from the management types to have a simple to understand, quick read dashboard/gadget that could tell them very roughly where people in the technical group have been spending their hours.

What I'm looking for is essentially the two dimensional filter statisics gadget that comes out of the box with JIRA, but that will show me summed hours, as opposed to number of tickets updated/completed. Has anyone seen / written anything that will do this?

Any insight is appreciated.

brian

1 answer

0 votes
Rina Nir (AC)
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
July 21, 2014

Brian,

Can you provide some more information:

1) Would you want to see, for example- how much time was spent of issues of category XX? how is category XX defined: is it the Issue Type, the project, or somerhing else?

2) Would all the hours assoiiated with a certain issue belong to one "time category"?

3) You want to have this as a gadget within JIRA? (meaning- an excel report, for example, is not the right solution?)

Hi Rina -

1) I'd love an x axis of project or component, and a y axis of assigee, with each cell showing the summed hours worked by the combination over the timeframe. See the attached .png of the solution I was hoping to find somewhere.

2) All hours associated could roll up to either a project or component level which would be fine.

3) Ideally the gadget would be in JIRA. I could craft external tools to take the data apart and parse it if I wanted to, but I'm trying to foster an environment where more people understand the *power* of using JIRA, so I'd like to get this to the homepage.

I downloaded the JIRA Timesheet Reports and Gadgets Plugin by Andriy Zhdanov which largely does what I want/need it to do, though it takes a few extra steps to get there. It is certainly better than nothing.

Thanks for the response!

Hm. Snapthot didn't take. Will try one more time.

Rina Nir (AC)
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
July 22, 2014

Hi Brian,

I can see your reasonning #3- it is indeed correct that creating an external report may be distructive to the need to champion the use of JIRA and to reduce the number of different touch points managers need to have to get the data they need.

I do not think there is "of the shelf" gadget that does what you need. Its good that you've received something that apparently takes you most of the way. Code is needed to retrieve information and sum it up. BTW: what you describe can be achieved without the TEMPO plugin- meanning, I do not think that TEMPO gives you an advantage here.

Suggest an answer