Sum up fields in sub-tasks and show the result in story

Bharath Kumar July 11, 2016

I have a list of sub-tasks let say sub-task 1, sub-task 2 and sub-task 3, now I have fields design and build on all the sub-tasks.

Now I enter 1 for design and 2 for build on all the sub-tasks, I should see the result of 3 for the design field in the story and 6 for build field.

How can this be achieved, is there a add-on to get pass this issue?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2016

Hi Bharath,

You can do this with our Structure plugin if you're on self-hosted JIRA and you only need those summed values for reporting purposes.

It can sum the values of any numerical fields up through any number of levels of hierarchy (Stories, Epics, Initiatives - as many layers as you like), however they will only be displayed in the Structure plugin (or its dashboard/confluence/JIRA issue page gadget).

Using Structure just for this purpose would be overkill, but it has plenty other uses in project/portfolio management..

Cheers,

Robert

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2016

I'm sorry, the question doesn't read too well and I'm confused.  Could you explain what you are filling in to these assorted fields and what the "result" field is (give us the logic and/or arithmetic that fills the field and explain where it appears)

Bharath Kumar July 11, 2016

Below is some more explanation

Story  
  Field 1 = 1+5+3  
  Field 2 = 3+6+4  

Sub-Task 1 Sub-task 2 Sub-task 3

Field 1 = "1" Field 1 = "5" Field 1 = "3"
Field 2 = "3" Field 2 = "6" Field 2 = "4"

So I here have 3 sub tasks having the fields (field 1 and field 2) I should be able to aggregate these values and show the sum of them in the story issue type, please let me know if the explanation gives good understanding of what I am trying to say if not I would explain more.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2016

Gottit, that's helped.

You have a few options here, but I think the easiest one is to write a "post function" or "listener" that can pick up the changes to any subtask, and cause the parent to re-scan all of its sub-tasks for the numbers, recalculating them and then posting the value to the parent, and triggering it to re-index.

Suggest an answer