Sum of story points of stories at the epic level?

Pietros December 8, 2014

When I set the Epic to have 10 story points, it does not sum up with SP of its stories. So I can have an epic witj10 SP and two stores (1SP and 5 SP). In the planning board, the epic shows 6 SP, disregarding 10 SP for the epic itself.

Is that correct?

Or..why should I even estimate epics in story points?

2 answers

1 vote
Steffen Stamprath
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2015

With the plugin "Epic Sum Up" you can summate the story-points (and further) of an epic and all the sub issues/sub tasks:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/aptis.plugins.epicSumUp
Hope it helps you!

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2014

Yes, it is correct. The epic is just a way to mark a collection of stories (i.e. the decomposition of the "big user story"). Per se, it shouldn't carry SP (or any estimation) because it's all in breaking it down in 2d max tasks (or stories, if you prefer).

So, I suggest to create a story, estimated to 10SP, set it on the epic, so that your epic would reflect the reality.

About estimation ... I don't know. I use simple scheme, and actually we estimate in both SP and time (as opposed to standard practice). I found it to be more manageable.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2015

... Just a note here: you can get JJUPIN + JJUPIN Agile (they are low priced, but not cheap!) and script the sum for yourself. Plus, you have an universal tool for further customization of JIRA.

Suggest an answer