Sum of Estimated time on Epics

Randy Howk April 14, 2014

I have not broken up the project into sprints, I just want a sum of the estimated time I have entered for each story, preferably by Epic. No work has been logged yet, just want an idea of the time estimated for the entire project.

11 answers

4 votes
Igors_Veliks January 16, 2019

You can see that in Backlog view when you open Epic:

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 11.01.31.png

Paweł Lewiński January 25, 2019

It's sth I also need. Is this the sum up of all stories inside epic or just epic estimation itself?

Igors_Veliks January 29, 2019

It is the sum-up of all stories inside epic

Like Ondrej Smihula likes this
Mike Kondrashin February 19, 2019

@Igors_Veliks i think that's only the epic itself

Igors_Veliks February 19, 2019
Mike Kondrashin February 19, 2019

@Igors_Veliks I see, it does sum up tasks in the backlog, but not including sub-tasks...

Igors_Veliks February 19, 2019

Right, it does no take sub-tasks into account

Like Mike Kondrashin likes this
Ben Upham April 2, 2019

@Igors_Veliks Is that custom code? Or does the project have to be of a certain type? I don't see those estimate totals in my Epics backlog.

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.23.03 PM.png

Like # people like this
Igors_Veliks April 2, 2019

@Ben Upham no, this is not custom code. You might just need to enable estimations in settings.

Worth to mention, that I'm using Cloud version.

Like Charles Mangwa likes this
Ben Upham April 3, 2019

I think that may be for Scrum boards only. We're using Kanban...thanks for the reply.

Like # people like this
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 19, 2021

Hi

You can try out our add-on to track progress of issues in Epic hierarchy on time estimates and at story points as well.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

The add-on allows you to manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports along with multiple Time in Status Reports ( more than 6 reports).

Key features of Epic Hierarchy:

• Epic Sum up - Roll up for Time estimates and Story Points
  • Excel like editing for key fields
  • Excel export of hierarchy data. Progress % on "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Include all issue types vs only Stories in Story Points roll up
  • Support for custom names for Epic & Story fields
  • Epic Tree on Issue Screen

Along with Epic Sum, you also get Links Hierarchy and Multiple Time in Status reports (to track your issues) in this add-on.Epic Hierarchy.PNG

Links Hierarchy.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2021

Hello @Rahul_RVS_Support,

Thank you for sharing your company's add-on to this thread. However, please be aware of our Community Guidelines for vendors stance on necroposting:

A word on necroposting: Aka, "raising threads from the dead." In general, avoid posting on old threads (six months or more old) simply to promote your products. However, you may post on old threads in certain cases.

Refer to Revisiting our necroposting guidelines for more details after you've read the article above.

Thank you for your understanding.

Shannon

4 votes
Steffen Stamprath
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2015

I think the plugin "Epic Sum Up" is exactly what you need!
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/aptis.plugins.epicSumUp

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2017

Hi

thanks for your plugin and I see it. But I need sum of Original Estimate in order to use it with BigPicture Gantt Plugin. Do you have any solution in order to copy the aggregated time to Original Estimate field s of Epics?

Like # people like this
Stine Søndergaard August 30, 2020

Hey @Ansar Rezaei ,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same issue with BigGantt ...

/Stine 

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
3 votes
Lisa Reilly April 14, 2014

There's a free plugin called SumUp which shows you the total days for any filter results.

So you can just search for "project = [project name]" and the totals for each column in your filter results will show up at the bottom.

Even if you have more than 100 results, say you have 500 tasks in your project, the total for the 500 tasks will show at the bottom of the screen. Below is an example for one of my projects, showing originial estimate, remaining estimate and time spent:sumup example

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.cps.sumUp

Igors_Veliks April 2, 2019

It's not free anymore:

plugin.png

Like matuella likes this
0 votes
Ron LaJoie May 19, 2021

Really old thread but it appears people still stumble upon it from time to time.

The easiest way to get this info quickly, at least for me, is to create a filter with just the epic I want total time for (including all the sub-tasks), and then do a Workload Pie Chart Report using that filter and original estimate.  Boom!

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 16, 2020

Hi Stine,

I will assume that by "the total OE on epics" you mean the sum of all OE of The Epics children as if they were done one by one continuously and that by "the length in the Gantt chart will be accurate" you mean that the length of the parent Epics' taskbars would reflect this sum up.

Steps to follow:

• Point 1 from my previous answer
    • Then map the End date of your tasks to OE
      Unable to render embedded object: File (Caution) not found. Please note that changing the task mapping should be done after careful consideration as the changes cannot be undone. In this case, I mean particularly the OE which could be overwritten unintentionally by too quick clicking and the suggestion to change the mapping per Project rather than globally for the plugin. See the image below:
      this step WITHOUT MIGRATING EXISTING VALUES TO NEWLY SELECTED FIELDS will cause the plugin to take OE as the End of the taskbars representing the issues on the Gantt timeline. Potentially, if your project consists of many tasks, your Jira instance might be slowing down due to a large number of custom fields being migrated if you leave the default switch enabled.
      image.png
    • Then Link the child stories with ASAP links to get them in consecutive order. Once again, please note the Start and End dates of the linked Stories WILL change.
    • Make sure the task mode of the Parent Epic is "Auto Bottom-up". This will effectively extend the length of the parent Epic taskbar to cover the child stories.
    • observe the results on Gantt:
      screenshot-1.png

Anna od SoftwarePlant

0 votes
Radosław (SoftwarePlant) September 11, 2020

Hi Randy,

BigGantt or BigPicture are the perfect tools to use for your report.

Follow these steps to get your OE nicely aggregated on the WBS:

1. Assuming you already have the Epics and the stories in your program you now need to build your WBS using Epic Structure builders(or indent your stories under Epics manually):
    image.png2. now you need to add the Original Estimate to your Column views and set the aggregation to "Sum no Parent" to have the sum of child Stories shown on the Epic.(You may choose other aggregation types as well):
    image.png3. All that's left now is to navigate back to your Gantt and enjoy the nice Gantt report presenting you Epic Summ up of OE on the stories in Each Epic:
    image.png
    If you do not care about the timeline but just want the report, I suggest using the Scope module which you set up in a similar fashion but can build more comprehensive reports by combining multiple columns into one report:
    image.png

I hope it helps.

Radosław SoftwarePlant
Stine Søndergaard September 13, 2020

Hey @Radosław (SoftwarePlant) ,

How can I use BigGantt to sum up the total OE on epics so that the length in the Gantt chart will be accurate? Currently I can only do this by manually adding an estimate to the epic. 

/Stine

Stine Søndergaard September 20, 2020

Hey @Radosław (SoftwarePlant) ,

I can see in my email that you answered, but the answer is not here?

/Stine

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
0 votes
matuella July 7, 2020

You guys should take a look at this awesome free plugin - it did fit all my needs

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
October 15, 2019

Hi Randy,

You can use Agile Docs to sum up the total estimated time of each Epic in your project.

Opens up right inside your project dashboard.

time-tracking-tree.png Or, if you want a zoomed-out view of Epics only, you can uncheck "Expand All Epics”:

time-tracking-collapsed-epics.pngIf you need a more granular way to search for Epics rather than just all unresolved Epics in your Project, you can use your existing Quick Filters to search for them.

Hope that helps!

0 votes
George Mihailoff September 10, 2018

First of all, what if you don't need to deal with manual work logging anymore!?

Check out the Quantify time spent addon. And yes, it can sum up tickets in epics including sub-tasks.

Souni Breil February 4, 2020

@Igors_Veliks how did you get to the view  in your screenshot please? :D

Igors_Veliks February 4, 2020

@Souni Breil wrong thread, but anyway: it's jira cloud + scrum board + backlog view

0 votes
jira1 January 10, 2017

I need a help please!
i need a generic groovy script for Total!! estimate on an epic in JIRA, including childes (issues & sub tusk)

i know there is an add-one but ineed only a working groovy script.

thx smile

0 votes
Randy Howk April 14, 2014

In RapidBoard I see the totals per epic, still would be nice to see grand totals, but a spreadsheet worked for now.

Suggest an answer