Sum components from 2 projects

Andrew Charlton October 2, 2019

Hi just wondering if people have an idea?

I have 2 projects with a shared Component marker, say something like 'Introduction' when I pie chart the projects to see resolved items in the past month, query here:

project in (proj1, proj2) AND labels in (label1, label2) AND resolutiondate <= endOfMonth(-1) AND resolutiondate >= startOfMonth(-1)

What I'd like the Pie chart to do is actually Sum the component numbers from both projects to a single chart. I cannot get my head around how to do this or if it is possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2019

Hi @Andrew Charlton

You mention two different fields here - components and labels.

For labels, the Pie Chart should work as expected. Labels are single, unique entities applied to issues from multiple projects, so would sum in the chart.

However components differ - these are project specific. This means that whilst you might have three components in different projects all with the same name, which come up with one issue search based on component name - the pie chart still treats them as three separate entries based on the component's ID rather than the wording. 

It's not possible to workaround this as far as I know; you'd need to either consider using Labels or another field used across multiple projects - or perhaps use a more powerful reporting application from the Marketplace.

Ste

Andrew Charlton October 2, 2019

Thanks for this @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  I had a nagging feeling the solution would involved either a 3rd party or baseline of labels. 

One option I'd see would be a bulk change to all items to insert a label and possibly remove the component as they aren't using it for anything other than an attempt to group.. which obviously isn't working across multiple projects.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2019

Hi @Andrew Charlton

If it's a field which needs multiple options across multiple projects - and you want to split it from the general labels field - there's a few custom field options, such as:

• Custom Labels field
  • Select List (multiple choices)

Just remember that for the Select List the addition or removal of options would require a Site Admin.

^ If you go with the Select List and you don't want to have to have users selecting using the Ctrl / Shift + Click method, there's also a few options there. One is...

• Enable Dark Features - see this Confluence page for instructions
  • Enter multiselect.frother.renderer into the enable box and press Add

...this will turn all multi-select fields into component-like fields. The other option is to do it using JS to modify the behaviour of the field. This isn't something I have experience in but answers like this one might be of use.

Ste

Suggest an answer