Suggestions for code releases and closing a story

Michael Clinton February 18, 2016

Let me preface this with a few things:

• My company just started with JIRA and we don't yet have continuous integration, instead we do weekly code releases.
  • In our old world we had simple issue statuses per ticket that marked stories ready for release and released and then closed.
  • Roughly half the time we don't immediately release what we worked on in a given sprint.

Any suggestions with how we could mark stories ready for release and close a sprint, but be able to dictate a future release date?

And then we'd like to be able to search for things that have a specific release date. How can we do that?

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2016

You can still have separate workflow statuses for ready for release and released and then closed. In your scrum board, you can map only statuses till ready for release (which will be the last column mapping). You will get credits when the story reaches that status and burn down will work as expected.

You can then move the story to released and then closed as and when that happens. You can also use the due date or a custom date field to set release dates.

Michael Clinton February 19, 2016

So, how would a user then update the statuses? Is there a status field option that I can add to Issue Detail View or the edit screen?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2016

Once you map these statuses to columns in the Scrum board, you can just drag and drop issues from one status to another. Or you can do it directly from an issue using the workflow buttons. Workflow transitions appear as buttons and you use them instead of using the Edit operation to change status.

Suggest an answer