Subversion plugin error: Status: Inactive (svn: Malformed network data)

Michał Choroszy October 8, 2012

Hello!

We have problem with Subversion plugin on some of our repos. When I try to check svn log on that repo manualy, it hangs for 2-3minutes on particular revision and then shows whole log. SVN plugin probably has some timeout and it's not waiting for whole log. Maybe there is some variable for that? Or maybe other workaround?

Error log:

QuartzWorker-1 ERROR ServiceRunner Subversion Revision Indexing Service [plugin.ext.subversion.SubversionManagerImpl] Error retrieving changes from the repository.
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: Malformed network data
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager.java:64)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager.java:51)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNReader.readItem(SVNReader.java:422)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNReader.readItem(SVNReader.java:456)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNReader.readItem(SVNReader.java:456)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNReader.readItem(SVNReader.java:237)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNConnection.readItem(SVNConnection.java:284)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNRepositoryImpl.readItem(SVNRepositoryImpl.java:1287)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNRepositoryImpl.logImpl(SVNRepositoryImpl.java:730)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.io.SVNRepository.log(SVNRepository.java:1034)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.io.SVNRepository.log(SVNRepository.java:939)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.io.SVNRepository.log(SVNRepository.java:863)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion.SubversionManagerImpl.getLogEntries(SubversionManagerImpl.java:134)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion.revisions.RevisionIndexer.updateIndex(RevisionIndexer.java:271)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion.revisions.RevisionIndexService.run(RevisionIndexService.java:32)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:65)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:52)
at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.quartz.MultiTenantThreadPool$MultiTenantRunnable.run(MultiTenantThreadPool.java:72)
at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)

JIRA version: 4.3.4

SVN plugin version: 0.10.5.4_01

6 answers

0 votes
pschaff01
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2014

Hi Michael,

As it turns out, I believe you are actually facing a bug with SVN that is being tracked here:

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/SVN-364

Some customers mentioned that a restart of the JIRA application resolved the issue, but this is not a confirmed workaround.

Cheers

0 votes
Xinfu Xia December 16, 2012

I'm having the same problem. I'm runing jira 5.1.8 with subversion plugin v0.10.11.1. This is the newest plugin.

Xinfu Xia December 16, 2012

I'm having the same problem. I'm runing jira 5.1.8 with subversion plugin v0.10.11.1. This is the newest plugin.

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2012

Hi Norma,

If you don't mind, you could uninstall the svnkit plugin and upgrade to latest JIRA version.

Before you proceed. please do backup your xml file.

After done, reinstall back the svnkit plugin with compatible version and restore the file. I suggest you to try on testing environment or other JIRA instance to confirm the error still occur in your end.

I hope its help.

Regards, John.

0 votes
Michał Choroszy October 8, 2012

The error is from the svnkit. Can you upgrade Jira to allow for later versions of the subversion plugin?

I can't. I tried to upgrade just svnkit but without result.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2012

The error is from the svnkit. Can you upgrade Jira to allow for later versions of the subversion plugin?

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2012

I do not know if this applies to your older version or not, but it is worth a try.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Subversion+plugin+unable+to+connect+to+repositories+due+to+timed+out

Suggest an answer