Subtickets of an epic are grouped together in the kanban board

Amanda Berkowitz October 6, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring Columns

Subtickets of an epic are grouped together in the kanban board. Can I shut off this feature so tickets can be prioritized regardless of epic? 

3 answers

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2016

Hi Amanda,

I guess that you will normally not be working on the epics themselves. Could you try modifying the source of your kanban board to exclude the epics?

Amanda Berkowitz October 7, 2016

I modified the filter of the board to exclude epics but it still groups subtickets by the parent ticket. is there a better way to accomplish what youre describing? 

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2016

There's one thing that immediately comes to my mind; could you check whether ranking is enabled on your board? You can check this in the general configuration of the board or you can explicitly add 'ORDER BY Rank to the end of your JQL statement - given it isn't there yet already.

0 votes
Amanda Berkowitz October 6, 2016

I should clarify. The tickets are grouped together by epic in the columns. I am not using any swimlanes on this board.

In the image you can see the highlighted ticket is a subticket of a parent/epic named "homepage" but I cant make it a higher priority than the epic above it "account and settings". in fact all tickets that are part of an epic cannot be manually ordered at all. tickets not part of an epic can be vertically moved around to indicate priority but tickets in an epic can only be shown in numerical order. whats up with that? 

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 4.54.35 PM.png

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2016

Hi Amanda,

My guess is that your kanban board currently has swimlanes based on epics. This is what is probably the cause of the grouping.

To verify whether this is the case and undo it, go to the configuration of your board. Then, from the options on the left select swimlanes:

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 17.50.56.png

Probably you will see 'Epics' selected as an option here. You can choose a different grouping option or switch to no swimlanes at all to see all issues on the same board without any horizontal grouping.

Be aware that though that this change impacts everyone using the board.

Suggest an answer