Subtasks of an EPIC - should they inherit the properties of an EPIC e.g. EPIC Name?

vanessa January 18, 2017

Hi,

I've created a JQL query of tasks that are associated to specific EPICs.  My query pulls back a list of all the subtasks that meet my criteria.  As part of the results, I wanted to display the EPIC name that is associated to the subtasks in my query.  JIRA allows me to add the new fields by adding the columns to be displayed - however the fields are not populated with the actual value of the EPIC Name.   For every EPIC that is created, we provide a name to it and it will contain minimum of 4 / 5 subtasks.   I've been advised that the EPIC Name field will only be populated in my queries when the field called, 'Issuetype' = EPIC  - is this correct?  I would have thought that the subtasks would inherit the properties of an EPIC e.g. EPIC Name?  I've been advised that this is not the case and due to this field being a locked field then it can not be populated if the field in my query contains other values such as: Task, Issue etc. 

Please can you advise if this is the way that JIRA is set up and it is not feasible to display the actual value of the EPIC name when querying the subtasks associated to it.  

Many thanks

Vanessa  

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2017

This is one of those cases where I tend to disagree with Atlassian.  Or at least their implementation.

The theory, I agree with.  When an issue belongs to an Epic, then logically, its sub-tasks do as well.  I agree that you should not be able to set the Epic-link on a sub-task - it's part of the story, and the story belongs to the Epic.  Where it goes wrong for me is exactly what you have found - there's no connection between a sub-task and the Epic, and there should be for reporting.

The only work-around I've used is to create a scripted field (yes, Script Runner) which echoes the Epic the parent is linked to (and I put the field on all issues, so I can search for it and get the Epic, Stories and sub-tasks in one go)

vanessa January 19, 2017

Thanks Nic - I don't think my current licence allows me to add the Script Runner functionality ;o(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2017

Your licence won't stop you using Script Runner.  There's a version for both types of JIRA - Cloud and Server.

Brianna Barnes June 15, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-I'm new to ScriptRunner and to writing scripts/code in general. I am trying to accomplish what is mentioned above. Is there any documentation that you might direct me to that would be helpful?

Suggest an answer