Subtasks go to backlog, should be under the same status as parent

Deleted user July 27, 2017

Hi there,

I am using Kanban, and when I have selected something for "Ready for development" and then create subtasks under it, those subtasks automatically go to the backlog so I need to manually move them.

I believe there maybe some kind of trigger I can setup ? Although I have no idea how to proceed.

Basically, the workflow I need is when a subtask is created it should take on the status of the parent.

Actually, the same thing happens with regards to the component, creating a subtask leaves the component empty so its not displayed on my board. It would be really beneficial to have the subtasks inherit automatically the component of the parent.

Any help would be really appreciated.

I am using the Cloud version of JIRA.

Thanks

4 answers

0 votes
Deleted user June 17, 2022

I am also curious as to why this happens. I understand that in its simplest form Kanban does not technically have a "Backlog" per se - that would be the To Do column of the board. But since Jira offers the possibility of enabling the Backlog also for Kanban boards it does sound counter-intuitive to me that Sub-Tasks do not automatically inherit the same state as the parent Task.

0 votes
JD September 26, 2019

Looking for the same.

This should be the default behaviour as this is the only sane status for the new subtask.

0 votes
Alessio Valentini October 13, 2017

Hi Ian,
Did that work for you?
Do you need JIRA Helpdesk in order to install the cloud version of the plugin? (at the moment when I try, it fails and says that I need to sign up to JIRA software on demand)

A

0 votes
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

Hi Ian,

I'm not sure that it can do specifically what you need, but you might want to take a look at Automation for JIRA addon. It sounds like a general if-trigger-then-action case, so they might have the necessary functionality.

Hope this helps,
Igor

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events